Curious platy fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcor

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My yellow platy gives birth to yellow wag fry usually (she's had the same for the past two drops), but one fry is different. He was colourless at birth (the others were pale yellow), and now has developed a single vertical black stripe up the middle on both sides, and is beginning to show blue colouring. I'm wondering if anyone's had a platy like that? I'll try get a photo of him but he's fast and still quite small.

My yellow platy gives birth to yellow wag fry usually (she's had the same for the past two drops), but one fry is different. He was colourless at birth (the others were pale yellow), and now has developed a single vertical black stripe up the middle on both sides, and is beginning to show blue colouring. I'm wondering if anyone's had a platy like that? I'll try get a photo of him but he's fast and still quite small.

What is the color of the father? Pics would definitely help.

There is no other fish in the tank of that colour. The males are black, red, and sunburst. She's still got 'shop sperm', though I think probably this is her last batch from whatever she brought home with her. I'll get the photo tomorrow, lights are out now. It's just strange. One random platy who is completely unlike any others in the tank!

There is no other fish in the tank of that colour. The males are black, red, and sunburst. She's still got 'shop sperm', though I think probably this is her last batch from whatever she brought home with her. I'll get the photo tomorrow, lights are out now. It's just strange. One random platy who is completely unlike any others in the tank!

Yeah, it's prob sperm from another male platy in the lfs. If that blue platy survives, it would be pretty awesome looking. :D

Poor picture quality, but hopefully you can see what I'm on about.

Attachments

• image-4285865600.jpg
    image-4285865600.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 402
  • image-2832338855.jpg
    image-2832338855.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 122
This is his brother or sister. See, yellow body, black fins and lips.

Attachments

• image-3180519464.jpg
    image-3180519464.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 104
This is his brother or sister. See, yellow body, black fins and lips.

Yup. That other blueish fry is a lot different from them. Is the blue guy swimming with the other fry or just by himself? Blue platys are not that common. Maybe the mom is still holding sperm from the owners ( before the lfs got her ) blue male? Or did you see a blue male at the lfs?

He's off on his own mostly. I have no idea who was in the lfs tank with her, my son and husband bought her. He's awesome though, right? Really unusual. Can't wait to see him grow up and fully colour up. (Or her!)

He's off on his own mostly. I have no idea who was in the lfs tank with her, my son and husband bought her. He's awesome though, right? Really unusual. Can't wait to see him grow up and fully colour up. (Or her!)

He's like the "ugly" duckling of the group. But will most likely turn out to be the prettiest and most colorful one of them all. :)

I've had many platy fry like your blue one, some of them are already adults they're really awesome fish

I've had many platy fry like your blue one, some of them are already adults they're really awesome fish

Can you post a picture of an adult one please!? Or an older juvenile? I really want to see, I think he's gorgeous!

Here's a pic, it's not an adult but I couldn't take a picture of one they move too much

Attachments

• image-3585612365.jpg
    image-3585612365.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 70
  • image-4280858535.jpg
    image-4280858535.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 74
  • image-1812297354.jpg
    image-1812297354.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 76
Here is one of the blue adults

Attachments

• image-3009028507.jpg
    image-3009028507.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 68
Thanks, he isn't from the same batch of fry like the others, when he was a fry he already had those black spots, but once the fry of the other pictures grow they have the same blue color but with orange, yellow or even red colors in the other areas of the body and sometimes black fins

Thanks, he isn't from the same batch of fry like the others, when he was a fry he already had those black spots, but once the fry of the other pictures grow they have the same blue color but with orange, yellow or even red colors in the other areas of the body and sometimes black fins

Do you know the color of the parents? They would look pretty cool with blue, orange, yellow, red, and black fins.

The mom had a coloration that was yellow on the midsection, red near to the tail and black fins. The dad had a coloration that was blue in the midsection, orange in the rest of the body and it was a Mickey Mouse platy

Back
Top Bottom