Dalmatian Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MPehl77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a dalmatian molly that had babies sometime during the night....I have managed to save 16 and they are in a nursery net in the tank. Mom is swimming around and doing great....my question is, since there are so many babies, I would like to transfer them to a nursery tank. I have a 1.5 gallon from a betta I had a few years ago. Would this be acceptable for them until they are big enough to go to the big tank and their new homes??

Personally, I don't think the 1.5 gallon is large enough as a grow out tank. You'd have to have a cycled tank to put them into. I just leave mine in the main tank with the adults and make sure there's lots of java moss for them to hide in. They stay in there until they know they are large enough to not get eaten. No pressure or stress on me that way and I end up with stronger fry.

So you don't use a nursery net at all??? I have them all in that right now and they are swimming around like crazy....a couple are on the bottom and look like they may have not developed correctly.....I think I will forego the new aquarium and keep them where they are.

Nope, I don't isolate the females. I don't do anything. I just let nature take its course. The females know what to do. The fry are remarkably resilient and have a strong sense of instinct and self-preservation. They feed off the micro nutrients in the java moss, and I supplement with golden pearls or brine shrimp eggs. I actually feel sorry for people who miss the experience of watching the fry behavior when left to their own devices.

I agree, I have had a platy and a swordtail drop some fry. Just love watching the the little ones interact in the tank.

i seperated mine for the simple fact i want to save them from my bigger fish

how about a compromise? keep them in the breeder net (with some moss or something in there) for about a week and then add them to the tank. if you are worried you could move half into the tank then wait a couple of days and add the rest. that way you are sure to have a nice bunch of babies/

I just let mine go in the tank. I love seeing these little guys grow. so much fun! and yes, i think you get stronger fish this way.

good luck!
wanna post a pic for us?? I am a sucker for the babies!

Funny enough mine dropped some point last night, ive fished mine out. But they will be going in my new tank when i get it running.

image-560456328.jpg

image-3431841740.jpg

I have pictures of the babies in my album...but I don't know how to put them on here??

How do I post pictures to this thread?? I have them in my album, but don't know how to get them on here like the poster above.

MPehl77 said:
How do I post pictures to this thread?? I have them in my album, but don't know how to get them on here like the poster above.

When you are typing a reply there should be an option to add attachment, find your picture and click insert. At least that's how I do it on the Android app not sure of its different on different devices or not

MPehl77 said:

You can go to advanced if you are on the computer, if you are on an iPhone you will see a "+" up there next to the send button

Ok good I finally got it....here's the babies!

Attachments

• babies1.jpg
    babies1.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 51
  • babies2.jpg
    babies2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 57
How long will it take the fry to grow to about 1/4 inch???

No clue...these are my first fry. There is a platy fry in there, and she is about a month old....she is a little more than a quarter inch. Although I will tell you...one of the little fry escaped yesterday while I was cleaning, and he didn't even make it to the bottom of the tank before one of the other fish ate him.

My guppies and mollie dont really bother the fry. They will go them but wont chase em around the tank. My problem are the tetras they hunt them, if they see one hide they will wait for it to come out.

Back
Top Bottom