Danio fry??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Becki273

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Need a little advice here! I've just done a gravel clean (using a battery powered gravel vac with bag) and noticed what looks like hundreds of little black specs that look oddly like black eye lashes. I know my danios have been a little 'busy' lately but as I have been battling a huge ammonia spike for the last three weeks (3 decaying plants, got a little happy with some good bacteria and neglected my gravel cleaning a little over 2 weeks!) I didn't expect them to produce any fry as they were obviously under a lot of stress ( ammonia reached 4.0ppm yikes!) luckily the ammonia levels are coming under control slowly tested today and their down to 0.25ppm. Anyway during this time I've done a bagged gravel clean and then a water change (got 1 Oranda and 3 plattys very messy poopers) I also noticed today that my nitrate and nitrite levels have spiked but was told to expect this with the ammonia levels coming down.

Anyway to avoid any more blabbing on my question is could these tiny black flecks be danio fry? I can still see some in the gravel. I'm also guessing any left are probably not going to survive because of the situation with the water?

If your black flecks don't have eyes, they are not fish fry. Danio fry will usually stay hidden close to the bottom of the tank until they are free swimming and searching for food but without the eyes, this is something else. If you can get a close up picture, maybe they can be properly identified ;)

Hope this helps

Their so tiny I can't see any eyes but they were thicker at the top than the bottom. I've never had anything like that in the tank before at first I thought it might have been poop but then ruled it out after closer inspection. Sadly even if it was fry majority got sucked into the bag through a fan so their gone :(

Back
Top Bottom