Deformed Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desi

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I made the "mistake" of buying a pregnant guppy from the pet store. Let's just say I'm many babies in now. I read that it is important to keep fry in light so that they don't form spine deformalities. So I do. But some of my guppy jr.'s still get this way... what's going on!? I haven't had one baby survive that gets this way... any advice? Thanks ahead of time.

And they aren't born that way. I have some that are almost two weeks old and they were all fine, but just today I noticed one with a crooked spine and he spins around in upside down circles :'(

you've got something going on. better check your parameters. I've never heard of keeping them in light will keep them from having deformities. Never ever heard that. My tank always had lights out everynite, and never had deformity.

by the way, it's not a mistake buying a pregnant guppy. I find it impossible to NOT buy one pregnant.

It's a spinal birth defect or an injury that happens during birth. Could also be a birth defect from inbreeding. I dont think anything is wrong with your system. We see them in my wife's guppy tank.

you've got something going on. better check your parameters. I've never heard of keeping them in light will keep them from having deformities. Never ever heard that. My tank always had lights out everynite, and never had deformity.

by the way, it's not a mistake buying a pregnant guppy. I find it impossible to NOT buy one pregnant.

I keep my lights off at night too. And I knew I was buying her pregnant, and I knew there would many babies. Just didn't anticipate so many all seeming to come so soon after the others.

It's a spinal birth defect or an injury that happens during birth. Could also be a birth defect from inbreeding. I dont think anything is wrong with your system. We see them in my wife's guppy tank.

This ^^^^

Most of the time when you see these types of deformities, it is due to inbreeding. My systems are darn near perfect and I still have crooked guppies. I cull them as feeders for my angelfish. And no, it's not cruel. Better a quick death than a lingering one.

Most of the time when you see these types of deformities, it is due to inbreeding. My systems are darn near perfect and I still have crooked guppies. I cull them as feeders for my angelfish. And no, it's not cruel. Better a quick death than a lingering one.

That is a wise idea. Thank you all for your input. :)

I keep my lights off at night too. And I knew I was buying her pregnant, and I knew there would many babies. Just didn't anticipate so many all seeming to come so soon after the others.

Oh yea once they start they keep going lol

Back
Top Bottom