Developing a guppy strain.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BANGAR

Aquarium Advice Freak
What's up people I bought a 55 a week or so ago, and I have a few different type of guppies, one who is unlike any I can find. He has full black fins, and a snakeskin body, no females with matching traits. I want more like him and to improve his traits in future generations.

My plan is to use the 55, and install DIY tank dividers to make 5 11 gal sections. I want to develop some future generations with robust females. I have a few juvenile prehit females that I should be able to work with in the next couple weeks.
5 10 gal sponge filters and heater are in the mail!

Swordtail Guppies: BREEDING STRATEGIES & GENETIC MANIPULATION IN GUPPIES

Read this today at work. I also have read "ifga, beginners corner page".

Any and all tips are welcome, as well as questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

First off I can't find any pics of snakeskin females online, is it an allele on the Y-chromosome (sex linked)
and I'm beginning to understand females aren't as influential in passing on traits to males. Hm.

Do you have a pic of your guppy?

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

What's up people I bought a 55 a week or so ago, and I have a few different type of guppies, one who is unlike any I can find. He has full black fins, and a snakeskin body, no females with matching traits. I want more like him and to improve his traits in future generations.

My plan is to use the 55, and install DIY tank dividers to make 5 11 gal sections. I want to develop some future generations with robust females. I have a few juvenile prehit females that I should be able to work with in the next couple weeks.
5 10 gal sponge filters and heater are in the mail!

Swordtail Guppies: BREEDING STRATEGIES & GENETIC MANIPULATION IN GUPPIES

Read this today at work. I also have read "ifga, beginners corner page".

Any and all tips are welcome, as well as questions!

I paid for the IFGA membership and I don't find the members only articles very helpful. Just an FYI if you didn't pay already. Going to hop on there today and check if there is anything new. Some articles of genetics though and those may help you. I'm not developing anything so I kinda skipped those.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would say get a black moscow female and it would be full black so it wouldnt affect the genes too much, leaving you with black guppies that have snakeskin patterns

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1449515305.338649.jpg

Best pic I have of him, he has been in my DT 46 bow front for a while. He's fattened up nicely since then

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1449515334.278442.jpg
So I glued some 2" insulation foam to a board underneath the tank, since it is in the basement and it's cold down there. It surrounds 3 sides of the tank. First heater broke during shipping, 2nd is in the mail!
I'm planning on filling the tank tomorrow!

Isn't that always the luck?! You really need something and it arrives broken. Nice guppy btw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Ugh. Blacksnake died. He was lookin pretty thin for a while, and I think I overfed him. It's kind of disappointing.

I'm considering my options here. I can either start fresh with a new male and totally new traits.

But to me, that guy was gorgeous. I think I would like to try and breed to get one similar to him.
I think the place to start, would be with a half black female, and a snakeskin male. But since I am starting fresh, I would love to start with some quality breeding stock. Can anyone recommend where I can get some quality stock for half blacks and snakeskins?
Petsolutions.com? I've never ordered from them.

If you do a little research and read reviews of the sellers to make sure they are quality sellers aquabid might be a try. Have good experience with it

Sini's my personal bucket lugger..er, I mean husband

I have 3/4 blacks. But yeah I would do aquabid if I were you. I started with aquabid and private local breeders.

I have 3/4 blacks. But yeah I would do aquabid if I were you. I started with aquabid and private local breeders.

I don know of any! But I think I'm going to this Aq clubs annual auction

Clubs and auctions are how I made my local contacts. I also have gleaned a wealth of info from the people I meet at these things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Been here and done this. Hard to imagine an easier fish to begin with in strain creation. I'm currently developing my own strain from some guppies no one else has. My buddy did much of the work, he has 8 years in the bloodlines that created my current stock, I'm crossing his line. Not another individual on this planet possesses this gene pool, it's quite interesting. I would love to help in any way I can.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Been here and done this. Hard to imagine an easier fish to begin with in strain creation. I'm currently developing my own strain from some guppies no one else has. My buddy did much of the work, he has 8 years in the bloodlines that created my current stock, I'm crossing his line. Not another individual on this planet possesses this gene pool, it's quite interesting. I would love to help in any way I can.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

"We want a pic!" Yes that's a chant I just started. And I know! I'm excited to get some fish to work with!

Brennae do you have a pic???? I would love to see.
I found out a local club in NY is having there annual auction on the 17th of january!!! So pumped to check it out!

Brennae do you have a pic???? I would love to see.
I found out a local club in NY is having there annual auction on the 17th of january!!! So pumped to check it out!

I'll try to get a decent one tomorrow. I also have full black Moscow that have ATFG or whatever the Thai fish breeder's initials are, lines mixed in.

I think you'll have a good time at the auction. Hopefully you will meet some local people who share your interests.

As promised I took some pics. The first are the 3/4 black which are throwing some full black moscows. Second pic is the Thai strain of black moscows. They aren't huge fish. I'm thinking about crossing them. I appologize for the awkward angles. With all the stupid duckweed in the Thai tank it's hard to get decent pics.

Attachments

• 1450728988242.jpg
    1450728988242.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 1450729003957.jpg
    1450729003957.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 66
  • 1450729018464.jpg
    1450729018464.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 1450729036242.jpg
    1450729036242.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 63
As promised I took some pics. The first are the 3/4 black which are throwing some full black moscows. Second pic is the Thai strain of black moscows. They aren't huge fish. I'm thinking about crossing them. I appologize for the awkward angles. With all the stupid duckweed in the Thai tank it's hard to get decent pics.

That 2nd pic posted is a dang good looking guppy!

Back
Top Bottom