Discus breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They will breed with other strains. If you want to try your hand at breeding I would suggest buying discus from a breeder rather than a LFS. You will get far better quality.

i was told the lfs discus would be much more hardier since they have been shipped and tranfered tanks so many times??

It's not realy that they are hardier, it's just that the ones that are not as hardy die leving the the ones that are hardier

LFS discus are usually pretty poor quality. Most are not that hardy. You are much better off finding a breeder IMO. You get what you pay for when it comes to discus. ;)

So far the four I got are doing great. I got two diamond blue one yellow sunrise and one red turquoise. The yellow is shy and always by itself and the red turquoise wont eat anything. Any help would be great. Is this common

Ok all my discus are doing great now. Bought two from a breeder yesterday. One ate and is very active already but the other hasn't earn and still is hiding out. How does it usually take for them to adjust to the new tank and how can I tell if its stressed

water parameters are usually the most important thing for a discus tank. If they are barred discus the stronger the bars the higher the stress

Ok so I have a 125g. 6 discus in with gourami rams two platies two pictus cats kribs pleco and one goldfish. My discus seem dark at times. Especially the diamond blues. I feed them bloodworms and brine shrimp. And my tank has alot of hiding spots and very low foot traffic. Wat could be causing the stress. Ph is at 6.2 0 nitrate/nitrite. The water is very hard though. Any Advice will be great

Their natural environment is softer water, but they will do fine in hard water if everything else is okay, they may just not breed in hard water. The main issue with what you say is that discus usually like to be the only ones in their tank. And what is the goldfish doing in there??? That is a cold water fish, it should be in its own non-heated tank. What's your temp at?

It was my wife's fish the first one she ever got a long time ago. But my temp is at 82/84. Out of the six discus only one hides but o have only had it a few days.

Sounds like they just need some time then, it should come around. The temp is just right for discus. I understand the highest you want for goldfish is 76 though, mostly it just speeds up their metabolism.

Yeah the goldfish has always been in the warmer water and has done great. Helps eat any extra food left over.

Hi mr.pro1987,
Good to hear another member taken the plunge into Discus!
Discus are the coolest fish to watch and observe.....lots of personality.
Good luck on the new venture!

Dennis

Back
Top Bottom