Do mollies or other livebearers ever pair off for good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

myriam

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am down to one male and one female black molly, since the other black female molly passed away a few weeks ago :-( I thought for sure I would need to run to the LFS and get another couple of females so the male wouldn't harass the one left to death (literally).

When there were two females and one male, they were all so crazy and always chasing each other around. In fact, one of the females and the male kind of picked on the other female a lot, which I found odd. She gave me about a dozen fry, and then a few weeks later, she was dead.

Now the one male and one female are like an old married couple! They are so peaceful and sweet to watch, it's amazing. They swim around together and play and eat together. Sometimes I'll see him giving her the chase, but it's more mellow and less frantic.

Has anybody else ever had something like this happen? I guess I should be happy and not worried :)

Hi. The answer to your question is no. Yes, you should be happy and not worry. They sound as happy as fish can be - so that should make you as happy as you can be. Frank

Well I guess I should just sit back and relax, and watch these fish be happy! Maybe I can name them now...Antony and Cleopatra? George and Gracie? Brad and Jen? Bennifer? hahaha!

Very cool! Not only are fish pretty to look at, but I enjoy watching their behaviour as well. I have a male platy who went wild and "had his way" with everything in site when a particular female was around. I took her out, he mellowed, I put her back in, he went wild again. Go figure!

Back
Top Bottom