Do rainbows breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vic021

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi well i have 4 turquoise 1 Iranian red 2 Melanotaenia australis, and 2 Boesemani rainbow fish. And i was wondering if they breed in captivity. I found some fry in my sump and they look a little like the rainbows but i am not sure. If you can, can you also post pics of rainbow fry.

Rainbows aren't terribly hard to breed. I bred Praecox rainbows by accident. I threw some plants from my 29g where the rainbows were into my 20L and found a fry that didn't look like a guppy. My wife named him Weirdo and he turned out to be a male Praecox. Must have been some eggs on those plants.

Ahh ok because i have read that they do not breed in captivity and if they do the fry do not live very long but i have about 10-15 in my sump that are about 1 inch long.

I was looking for some Praecox rainbows at a fish swap last Sunday and the seller told me he didn't have any at the show, but he had a couple hundred fry that would be ready for the fall swap. With all his species, he said that he has several thousand rainbow fry.

Back
Top Bottom