does this red eye tetra look pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbeland

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 4 red eye tetras and when I bought them I never thought about male or female. My daughter noticed this fish has gotten fat. Its starting to look like a small hatchet fish. Definitely not as streamlined as the others. Thanks for your help.

ForumRunner_20131023_083350.jpg

hopefully it does have eggs but other possibilities would be that it is bloating, has a stomach parasite (which is unlikely), or getting fed to much. skip feeding the next few time to see if the stomach goes down just to make sure. p.s. that is fattest tetra I have seen in proportion to the body. It almost looks like a prego guppy

She could be gravid (full of eggs). If she doesn't spawn, then she should re-absorb the eggs to mourish the next batch!

It could also be an internal problem, such as a tumour. If she is swimming normally and appears otherwise healthy, just leave nature to take its course, whatever the cause as there is little you can do for internal problems.

Back
Top Bottom