doin' it like rabbits!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

in my 5 gallon tank, i have a medium sized snail but it lays eggs about once every two days. i don't know how it does because there is only one in there and no other snails. are snails asexual? i don't believe so but please help me with mi problema.
muchas gracias

Some snails are hermaphrodites, and have both sexual organs; therefore, they reproduce by sexual reproduction. They are not reproducing by asexual reproduction (budding, regeneration, fragmentation). It sounds like you will have a ton of snails on your hands if you don't take care of the problem! What kind of snail is it?

Menagerie, they are Vertigo Angustior snails i received from my great aunt Gertie. :fadein:

I've got a hermaphroditic Golden Apple (or Inca) snail. She/he lays another batch of eggs every week or so. Hundreds of eggs! I'm letting him/her do it, bcz the babies are adorable. I've got about 20-30 3 mm long babies already, and if hundreds more hatch, I'll have myself a snail-sellin' business. I think I could prob. get $1 or $1.50 for each one (when adult) at my LFS.

I have never heard of those snails, are they nice looking? What is your great aunt doing with those snails, or did she pick it up especially for you?

Pretty interesting how you got

http://www.ukbap.org.uk/UKPlans.aspx?ID=626

From that site:

"Narrow-mouthed whorl snail (Vertigo angustior)

This localised European species occurs in damp, short grass and moss on marshes, including salt marshes, or among flood debris. It is known in the UK from only eight sites in England and Wales, and one in Scotland. It is also known from a further 15 sites in the Republic of Ireland.
The snail is nationally and globally threatened and is included on Annex II of the EC Habitats Directive. It is listed as Vulnerable on the IUCN/WCMC red list and Endangered on the GB Red List."

Adam, 'fess up, you don't have that type of snail, do you?

What do you REALLY have, common pond snails, or ramshorn snails?

LOL

that was great. i just wanted to see who would catch that first. yes, they are just common pond snails and my great aunt is not named Gerty. as Billy Madison would say to you corvuscorax, "ohh you're quick one." thanks for uncovering my secret. you gotta admit, that was good, right?? :fadein:

[applesnail dot net= ]Habitat and distribution: Pomacea canaliculata is widely distributed in the lentic habitats throughout the Amazon Inferior Basin and the Plata Basin: Southeast Brazil, Argentina, Bolivia, Paraguay and Uruguay. Pomacea canaliculata is one of the most Southern occuring Pomacea species in South America (Argentina).
Last decades Pomacea canaliculata has spread to south-east Asia and can now be found in Indonesia, Thailand, Cambodia, Hong Kong, southern China, Japan and the Philippines. The snail also invaded in the Southern parts of the USA (Texas and Florida, upto central Ohio) and is expected to spread futher in the comming years. For more detailed information about the establishment of Pomacea canaliculata populations in Texas, follow this link: http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/ppd/Entomology/Snails/Applesnail.htm
Possibly the species is making its way to Australia too.
oh..btw...In spite the fact that many snail species are hermaphrodite (being male and female at the same time) apple snails are definitely not: they have separated sexes (gonochoristic) and a male and a female are needed for reproduction.
For more info about the anatomy of apple snails: take a look at the anatomy section of this site.

They have a species indentify area with photos as well..you have golden brigedsii malaysians or Pomacea glauca(seen as horned, gold inca).

'Pest Alert' section, 'Asian distribution map' section and 'Eradication' section.
Pomacea canaliculata is also a very common in the aquarium trade, but its voracious appetite gives the apple snail family in general a bad reputation in the aquarium hobby.
Looks similar to:pomacea insularum and Pomacea lineata.
note the word "invaded" is used.. 0_0
http://pestalert.applesnail.net/

AS for ramshorn......(which I also have seen labeled incan)
Food: These snails eat almost everything they can get (omnivores): dead and rotting plants, many types of fresh plants, dead animals, eggs of other animals; voracious eaters. Not suited for planted aquaria.
Behaviour: Lives in lakes, ponds, irrigation systems and swamps. These snails stays close to the surface and prefer shallow waters with a lot of vegetation. They are known to tolerate relatively high salt concentrations and they are occasionally found in light brackish-waters. They are able to survive in these brackish waters, but they do not reproduce under these conditions. In literature (Hunt, 1961; Robin, 1971; Santos et al., 1987), it's reported that Marisa cornuarietis can withstand a salinity up to about 30% salt water.
In general, the temperature may not drop below 12°C for prolonged periods for these snails to survive.

Heh! because of this my biotope will not have snails from the area.
:roll: :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom