Dwarf gourami bubblenest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie2833

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My male dwarf gourami has just started building a bubblenest in the corner of the tank. As fascinating as it is, I'm a beginner and I never intended to breed my gouramis. I haven't got another tank to put them in, and the my tank is quite small and mostly full of tetras, so I'm worried about him getting aggressive. Is he likely to harm the smaller fish when he's defending a nest? And will he go after the female? He chases her about as it is, and she doesn't seem interesting in breeding. I've got quite a few plants for hiding, but I don't want him to scare the other fish. I'm also not sure why he's suddenly started wanting to mate- it has recently got much warmer, but does that make a difference with the artificial light and heater? Also, if I destroy his nest will he just build another one?

Any advice about what to do would be appreciated.

Your gourami is just maturing. As fish mature, like humans, they want to mate if possible. He will likely keep harassing her. Typically you want a 1M/3F ratio for gourami so he doesn't harass just one of they don't pair. If they end up mating, expect the other fish to avoid them on the opposite side of the tank.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

He is chasing her more now. Will destroying the nest help with that or not? I don't think I've got enough space for another couple of females. I might have to get rid of one of my gouramis :(

The only thing you can do is add more plants to break the line of sight or return. He will just build another nest.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I'm actually surprised you have a female. They are not very common unless you can find somewhere to order them. This is because they look pretty bland compared to the males.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

My local store has both, and it sells them in pairs- I presumed that's how they'd be happiest. He seems to have stopped building now but he hangs about the nest quite a bit. I don't think any of the other fish are injured, and they are mostly staying in the plants.

My local store has both, and it sells them in pairs- I presumed that's how they'd be happiest. He seems to have stopped building now but he hangs about the nest quite a bit. I don't think any of the other fish are injured, and they are mostly staying in the plants.

It's probably breeding behavior seeing as the other fish are hiding in the plants. Gourami are like cousins to bettas. Even when paired a female Betta can take a hefty beating. It sounds harsh but that is how they are normally.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom