Easiest fish to breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdpuffer

Aquarium Advice Addict
Am looking for a fish that is cheap and very easy to breed, spawns often and the fry grow fast. Prefferably a fish that is small and can spend its life in a 10 gallon. All opinions are welcome and the fish don't have to be pretty either.

I wouldnt breed guppies in a 10 gallon without a seperate grow out tank. And idk why you want the cheapest and easiest to breed. You wont be able to get any money off guppies and theyll breed on their own with good conditions. If i were you id choose something more interesting and rewarding.

Unless youre looking to breed them for food?

Puffer food? Snails would be a better choice if it is for your puffer. You can easily fill a 10g with 1000's of snails and overfeed them and you'll have a never ending supply of snails. Other than it would have to be guppies or livebearers.

It's all about food, I've got a tiger fish coming and want a supply of food so I don't have to feed it store bought parasite ridden minnows.

Guppies, IMO. They grow fairly quickly... might spawn faster than your tiger can eat them though.

Platys or guppys both eat their young though. I breed platy for right now pretty easy+cheap.

KonvictKeeper said:
Guppies. I have them and they are extremely easy. Just add water :p
I started with 10 and now have 18 (in 2 months). I don't take the babies out either. I have lots of hiding places though.

:p copier! Jk yes need a lot of hiding places

Ya I think I'm going to go with guppies and I will be seperating the fry as I want to maximize survival. Even found an article online saying that guppies are a good live feeder due to them not containing thiaminase, it's an enzyme that causes vitamin b1 deficiency and feeder goldfish are full of it.

Ya I think I'm going to go with guppies and I will be seperating the fry as I want to maximize survival. Even found an article online saying that guppies are a good live feeder due to them not containing thiaminase, it's an enzyme that causes vitamin b1 deficiency and feeder goldfish are full of it.

ooo that's interesting. I have also heard of goldfish being crappy as feeders.

One pro to Endlers is their smaller size compared to guppies, they are prettier IMO, and they DO NOT eat their young. Or mine never do. Seems common for Endlers to ignore fry. So that might help your efforts and prevent losses, while also being able to keep more fish in one tank compared to guppies.

Very true. Guppies are one of the fish that can be safely fed to reptiles.

I talked to a guy at work and he has a couple tanks he is going to give me but until I pick them up I don't know how big they are. I want to with something that has a little bit of size to feed the tiger fish that's why I'm thinking guppies.

Back
Top Bottom