Eggs all over my tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

There are eggs stuck to the glass all over my tank! Its been really hot this summer here, so my tank has been around 84 degrees, so I can't believe any of my fish spawned. Anyway, will any live if I don't do anything?

That is what I am thinking, Fluff - try sticking a piece of slate vertically in the tank and see if eggs are laid on that, which can then be removed and nurtured in a fry tank.

I don't have a fry tank and I can't really hold anymore fish in my 55g, so I guess I'll just let them get eaten. My tank has a lot of hiding places, so maybe one or two will make it, who knows. There must be about 200 eggs in there right now.

It sounds exactly like my cory eggs that I get periodically. I have always left them and they get eaten in a couple of days. Of course about a month ago I came hoem from a weeks vacation to find 3 baby bronze cories in my tank. Surprise to me!

But yes, white means they won't hatch.

tkos said:
It sounds exactly like my cory eggs that I get periodically. I have always left them and they get eaten in a couple of days. Of course about a month ago I came hoem from a weeks vacation to find 3 baby bronze cories in my tank. Surprise to me!

But yes, white means they won't hatch.

What color means they will hatch? They are more of a grey color really, I don't know if thats any better.

Well, I just learned why my Cory eggs never hatch...and I get tons of them every so often...they are always clear with a white center...and yes they do grow fungus but are eaten anyway by that 13" Pleco.....every time.
I had gotten some Methylene Blue to stop the fungus and was going to try transferring some next time but I suppose that would be a fruitless adventure..ha. :(

I was told white cory eggs wouldn't hatch either but the white eggs I removed to my 10 gallon Q tank did indeed hatch.

You can gently scrape the eggs off if you did decide to move to another tank -- cut a drinking straw such that it makes a little scoop at the end and gently remove them.

They are stuck to the glass right at the top of the water line, am I okay to still do water changes?

I will definitely not give up then...next time I'll harvest a few...Thanks for the tip on the straw method...that's a neat idea.

On the other post...I wouldn't think that letting the egg sack dry out during a water change would be advisable....maybe someone else will have an idea on it tho..

Now I'm really confused. When I woke up this morning and checked the tank, 95% of the eggs were gone. I can't imagine they were uneaten for 3-4 day and then during the course of one night all the fish decided to eat them. Could they have hatched? I can't see any fry anywhere, but I imagine they would be pretty hard to spot. Any ideas?

I have had that very same thing happen to mine...I think when the craving hits those Plecos can't resist and that's all for the eggs.
You will have another chance tho......

Back
Top Bottom