eggs fertile or not? **Pics**

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is the third spawning of my GBRs. Having never had any of the eggs hatch, I have no idea if they are even being fertilized. I don't know if anyone can tell by the pics that I took, but do they look like they could be fertile?

They were layed around 10pm last night. The male did in fact "do his thing" but Im not sure if the thing that needs to happen to the eggs happened :D

I'm sure that if the male did the right thing, most if not all of the eggs would have been fertilized. The only thing to do now is check them for signs of fungus. Have they eaten the eggs in the past?

every one. Usually about half are missing around the 24 or 36 hour mark. Very few make it to 48hrs.

get a tank divider, and put the eggs on one side, fish other, what kind of fish do you got that lay eggs?.....

I'm going to advise against the divider until AFTER they have started free swimming and look like a small moving cloud of babies. In my experience, the parents take much better care of the eggs than any human can. They constantly fan the eggs to make sure they stay clean and have oxygen. Also, there will be unfertilized eggs and the adults will remove those and any eggs that didn't make it. By doing this, the parents prevent the spread of fungus.

However, once they become free swimming, there is a risk that the parents will become stressed and eat the babies. This is when I would separate them.

I wouldn't worry too much about losing the babies though. You have a confirmed spawning pair so you'll gets lots of babies! You might want to separate the female and male once you get the fry safe and that way she will have some time to herself to recover.

you will! they just need practice :wink: they'll become good parents soon enough. I would give them a few more times before you separate them from the eggs.

Another thing to think about, was there anything that stressed them out? Perhaps there is only one parent who is the problem and the other parent is getting stressed out. I had a pair and the male started eating the babies and the female was having a hard time protecting them. However, I think if I had removed the male, she would have gone on to be a great mother. I didn't have room for the babies though, so I let nature take its course.

good luck! expect eggs in another 2-4 weeks :mrgreen:

I can certainly understand your frustration. My angels have spawned three times now. Each time they have eaten the eggs.

I agree with Rubysoho, they do practice it until they are satisfied with them. It's entirely possible that not all of the eggs were fertilized or they just weren't happy with the clutch (can we use "clutch" in aquaria??).

They will get it right sooner or later. I've heard of 5-6 unsuccessful spawns until actual fry were produced.

Hmm, I don't know. The hatchets stay up at the top, so I don't think they would cause the rams any worry. The guppies maybe, but I hardly ever see them around the egg area. There is the amano shrimp that lives in the driftwood where they lay the eggs, but I never see him. Could it be outside stress? People walking by? I may try covering that half of the tank next time. See if that helps.
Thanks ruby! :D

I may try covering that half of the tank next time.
I've never tried that one before. It could work, the other option would be to just turn off (or cut back to half) the lights the day before the spawn and leave them off until you see the fry free swimming (and by that point I would use the tank divider since you have in a community tank).

Like JC said, they'll keep practicing until they are happy with the results. I bet they just didn't fertilize the majority of the eggs.

Just make sure the female is getting the best quality foods and care. It is harder on the gals, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom