Eggs Fertilized.. Or Not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alaecreaturae

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got home today and saw that one of my Cory's left me a little gift. Some eggs! I have three, and I know that at least one of them now is definitely female. I suspected that she was female already from her size, but now I have confirmation. Now I've never witnessed my fish doing the "T-position" but maybe it happened some other time. I whipped my microscope out and pipetted two eggs- do you think these are fertilized?

I'm feeling hopeful because I lost one of mine to infection :( and I'd love to have more bronzes swimming about.

Attachments

• Coryeggs.JPG
    Coryeggs.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 16
I got home today and saw that one of my Cory's left me a little gift. Some eggs! I have three, and I know that at least one of them now is definitely female. I suspected that she was female already from her size, but now I have confirmation. Now I've never witnessed my fish doing the "T-position" but maybe it happened some other time. I whipped my microscope out and pipetted two eggs- do you think these are fertilized?

I'm feeling hopeful because I lost one of mine to infection :( and I'd love to have more bronzes swimming about.

Typically you don't have to use a microscope to determine if the eggs are fertilized. Usually fertilized eggs will be slightly amber in color in a day or two after being laid and have a little black dot in them. Unfertilized eggs tend to turn white with fungus pretty quickly and can harm the rest of the healthy eggs in the vicinity so it is wise to remove them.

It appears to me that your eggs are probably fertilized. Just keep an eye on them for whether or not fungus appears.

Typically you don't have to use a microscope to determine if the eggs are fertilized. Usually fertilized eggs will be slightly amber in color in a day or two after being laid and have a little black dot in them. Unfertilized eggs tend to turn white with fungus pretty quickly and can harm the rest of the healthy eggs in the vicinity so it is wise to remove them.

It appears to me that your eggs are probably fertilized. Just keep an eye on them for whether or not fungus appears.
I hope you're right! I'll keep checking them for fungus

I hope you're right! I'll keep checking them for fungus

Either way, corys breed on a nearly continuous basis if they are provided good conditions. You will get more eggs if these don't work out.

This is why bronze Corydoras are often bred in lab settings for genetics work. The eggs are large and easy to pull from tanks. The fry also develop rather quickly as well.

Back
Top Bottom