Eggs is my QT tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryan87500

Aquarium Advice Freak
About a week ago I took two angelfish that I just bought out of my main tank because they were aggressive to small fish I as adding. While in their "time out" tank I noticed some stringy white poo from the one angelfish that hasn't eaten well since I purchased. So I decided to remove some decorations and turn it into a QT tank and added parasite guard two days ago with both fish in.

I noticed the fish that hasn't been eating still isn't eating and acting funny.

I woke up this morning I noticed eggs all over the filter intake pipe. I have no idea if the other one is even a male I didn't buy them as a confirmed pair.

Right now I have no idea if fertilized but if they are is there concern with their being parasite guard in the tank and what do I do about the eggs being in the filter pipe won't that suck any fry in as hatched?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413371019.251297.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

White ones are unfertilized and will spread fungus- try to remove them. You should get a sponge filter. The parents will hopefully care for them but you can't be sure. Wait for Andy to get on this thread or check out Wigglers at Last!

Does that mean that the non white ones are fertilized or to early to tell? Not even sure if the other angel is a male so interested to see if they are at least fertile I know I have a pair.

I have a sponge filter on the way and should arrive by Friday. Unfortunately I left for the day so can't do anything for the white eggs until tonight so we will see if I still have eggs!

White eggs are infertile for sure

Based on what you described, it sounds like the one healthy one is a female and laid the eggs while the other one is just there, not an active participant. Sick fish do not breed and if the "stringy white poo" is constipation or signs of worms, it is unlikely that fish spawned.
Having said all that, the eggs that are not fertile will turn white in as many as 3 days ( I have a single female that lays and it takes her eggs that long to all turn white) so until that time has passed, I wouldn't get too excited.

Now, having said all that ;) spawning is a very stressful event for fish so to encourage spawning while being medicated is not a good idea. I realize this was not intended and the fish must have been preparing to spawn in the main tank which is why it/they were being aggressive, but if the one fish is still not eating and has the "white stringy poo", THAT needs to be dealt with over having the fish spawning. If the mate becomes too aggressive with the sick one ( which can happen when one mate does not perform their duties) you will need to separate the 2 fish either into separate tanks or with a divider in the one tank.
Now, if these indeed are healthy eggs, the only way to really protect them from the filter is to turn off the filter. You'll have to supply the tank with another form of aeration and filtering and that's best done with a sponge filter. Again tho, I doubt this is going to be necessary for this batch of eggs. :(

As recommended, I would read through the "Wigglers at last!!!" thread as there is just about every piece of info on Breeding and raising Angelfish that you need in that thread. (y)

Hope this helps (y)

Thank you for all the information.

What is interesting is I am 99% sure the unhealthy one is the female that laid the eggs and the larger one is maybe a male but obviously unconfirmed right now.

Thank you for all the information.

What is interesting is I am 99% sure the unhealthy one is the female that laid the eggs and the larger one is maybe a male but obviously unconfirmed right now.

That would be interesting. Maybe the "white stringy poo" was the ovipositor and not worms or poo? Any chance of a close up picture of the poo?

Funny you should ask because I took one a few days ago and my wife was looking through pictures on my phone for a different one and thought I was disgusting and deleted it.

So unfortunately I don't have one this second. It was more clear than white per se but looked like it was on the end of a small red poo so figured it was the parasite worm.

The fish really hasn't eatten since I got her a week ago and when she tries she spits it out and shakes so everything I read made it seem like a parasite. The last two days in this tank I had a small santa statute that someone gave me with the tank awhile ago so I was bored and put it in the tank with two fake plants just for fun. The female was really going at the statute I thought maybe she was cleaning it off but was knocking it all over the tank so I moved it.

I have a sponge filter coming in two days assume I turn off the other filter how do I keep the tank cycled and not have ammonia issues since I will be using new media.

Here is a picture of the fish that isn't eating and what I believe was her breeding tube two days ago.

Yesterday it was twice as long.

I haven't seen any signs from the other fish yet to show any type of sex organs.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413396771.658053.jpg

Funny you should ask because I took one a few days ago and my wife was looking through pictures on my phone for a different one and thought I was disgusting and deleted it.

So unfortunately I don't have one this second. It was more clear than white per se but looked like it was on the end of a small red poo so figured it was the parasite worm.

The fish really hasn't eatten since I got her a week ago and when she tries she spits it out and shakes so everything I read made it seem like a parasite. The last two days in this tank I had a small santa statute that someone gave me with the tank awhile ago so I was bored and put it in the tank with two fake plants just for fun. The female was really going at the statute I thought maybe she was cleaning it off but was knocking it all over the tank so I moved it.

I have a sponge filter coming in two days assume I turn off the other filter how do I keep the tank cycled and not have ammonia issues since I will be using new media.

Well, the Mrs could be right. I don;t know you, maybe you are disgusting? ;):lol: ( Just Kidding. :D ) I'd just let her know that a picture is worth 1000 words and when it comes to identifying diseases, very important, so ask her not to delete pics until you verify them.

There are a lot of conflicting things going on here. It could have been cleaning going on with the statue. Could have been she was PO'd at the statue. Could have been any number of things.

As for dealing with spawns, Angels in particular like to catch us off guard all the time. Either they are not in the right set up or the right time of day or not using the right equipment. In a separate tank, they should have been set up with a sponge filter to begin with. If you were medicating, a cycled tank is not a necessity as the meds will tell you to use clean water to start with and do water changes after a certain amount of time and to feed either sparingly or not at all. So the confusion now is what is in the HOB that is actually working with what you are doing? With general cure, no carbon should be in there so the filter cartridge needed to be removed to have the med be effective. If you are using just a foam block in the filter, you could attach that to an airstone in the tank and have the bubbles pass through the sponge to keep the bacteria alive and working. Once the sponge filter gets there, you can squeeze out that foam block over the sponge to inoculate it and just keep an eye on the ammonia level to make sure it does not rise while the sponge filter catches up. Another option is to use seachem's PRIME if there is ammonia to detoxify it. It will still show up on a test kit but it is not hurting the fish ( as long as it doesn't get really out of control.)

For now, assuming the parents aren't caring for the eggs, I would consider sacrificing the spawn because you are not properly prepared. The good thing about Angelfish is that when kept properly and healthy, they should be giving you plenty of spawns to work with. I get at least 3 spawns a month from any of my pairs.

Hope this helps (y)

Here is a picture of the fish that isn't eating and what I believe was her breeding tube two days ago.

Yesterday it was twice as long.

I haven't seen any signs from the other fish yet to show any type of sex organs.

View attachment 253022

It's highly unusual for a fish to not be eating anything and wanting to spawn. Yes, that looks like a tube of a female as it's round and blunt ended. You should have seen a "pointer" on the other fish if it's a male and he did "his job" with the eggs. With today's Angels, they spawn on their own too frequently so you would need to see at least one egg hatch to know that A) you have a male and female and B) that both parents are fertile.
Judging from the egg pic, it looks like most were white already so I have little faith that this was a successful spawn. I could be wrong. :eek: That one egg will tell you ;)

(y)

The medicine I am using is the Tetra Parasite Guard so filter media safe. Right now I just have a HOB with a sponge and biomedia bag, no carbon. Today will be 48 hours so was planning on doing a water change which if the eggs are still not all white I might put off since I would have to exposte them to air based on the the placement or do a lot of small waterchanges.

I think what you are saying is I can take the sponge, cut a hole in it and put a small air stone to create a temporary sponge filter.

Yea I agree not sure why the fish hasn't been eating but the one that hasn't been was definately the one with the tube. The other one is more interested in eating than anything else and I unfortuantely did not see any type of pointer. Maybe he is camera shy since this all happened at night with the lights off.

As for Santa here is a video from lastnight (sorry I realize it is sideways).

I will be home in a few hours so can report the status of the eggs then.

The misses just told me all the eggs are off the filter tube and laying on the floor of the tank. So I guess that takes care of needing a sponge etc right away.

Well this is where a good magnifying glass might come in handy ( I always have one by my breeder tanks BTW ;) ) It appears that there are some fry there. This needs to be confirmed by you because I can't get the pic large enough and clear enough at the same time to identify what looks like eyes.

So I will address the sponge block issue. You don;t have to cut a hole in it/ I would use a rubberband around the center of the sponge and put an airline with an air stone through the band so that the bubbles come up through the sponge. I'm doing that with some carbon sacks in my 2 small tanks that don;t have sponge filters. As long as the bubbles are going through the sponge, the bacteria should live and the water should be getting filtered.
The rest has to wait for your reply.

I think the specs you are seeing is just dirt specs. I found a loop for jewelry and tried to suction some pieces out to look at them but didn't see anything (not sure I would know what to look for). But the other angel went nuts and swam along the bottom kicking up everything on the bottom.

I think I need to shift my focus to why the female isn't eating. Might dons partial water change and another dose of parasite guard.

Probably makes sense to try and move the other angel who eats and has normal poop to the main tank and hope he isn't aggressive on his own so I can better monitor the female.

Any other information you might need to help diagnose what is wrong?

I'd only do the water change if the medication states to change water in this particular timeframe. I'd also wait until you can confirm those specs aren't wiggling ;)

Just an FYI, I had better success with API's General Cure than Tetra's Parasite guard. My fish were in a plain tank with just an airstone, no filter, when I used it and they did just fine. I moved them back into a tank with a sponge filter once the med period was over.

I hate to keep throwing things out there cause I don;t want to confuse you but it may be something totally benign, like the food was too hard for her, which was why she was making that choking action. This fish is not acting normally when compared to the symptoms you are describing, making this a toughy at the moment. Have you tried other , softer foods like frozen brine shrimp or even live brine shrimp? If this response is the same with any food then there is definitely a problem in her throat area. Might be more bacterial than parasitic? You may need to try a combo antibacterial/ antiparasitic approach. Check your med for suitable antibiotics that can be mixed with it.

Right now I have prazipro, parasite guard and general cure. I decided to use parasite guard and was planning on returning the other two but happy to try something else.

As for food I have tried flakes, NLS+A 1 mm pellets and frozen beef heart.

She sits there staring at the top of the tank but when I add few she doesn't really go to the top and if some falls she will try to eat the microscopic bites leftover from the other angelfish.

Anyway to confirm bacterial? I am guessing she should be in the tank alone so the other angel isn't dosed with all this medicine? I only have this 20 gallon and the main 36 gallon tank. So the normal angel would have to go back in the main tank.

I also did notice a real small red dot on the bottom of her pectoral fin muscle. Not sure if that is anything more than a red dot but throwing everything out there that I can see!

One more thing she seems to always opening her mouth real wide and only partially closing her mouth in comparison to the other angel.

Back
Top Bottom