Eggs with fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rossi94

Aquarium Advice Regular
My angelfish laying eggs with fry that are about eight or nine days old should I take the swimming fry out of the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

First congratulations!
Next I am NOT an angel fish breeder.
I would pull the fry if you have tank for them.
I breed GBR and have seen this only a couple times.
Each time both sets got eaten.
My GBR never raise fry completely either so to quote:"apples to oranges" possibly,but much has been written on this and usually the parents choose one set at best.
Don't net the fry!They are way to delicate.
If possible syphon them slowly and gently.
This is done by controlling the level of bucket.
BE WARNED the parents may go crazy and disturb the whole show with their defensive swimming and such.
This I have seen too many times with my GBR as I let them raise fry to free swimming before I remove them.
Hopefully Andy jumps in soon.

Ohhhh ANDY! We need you! Anyway, I agree with Coral. Be very careful and use tank water from the parents for the nursery.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I agree with all the above. If you want to be sure and save the fry, remove them. If you are willing to risk them, leave them with the parents ( as long as there are no other fish in the tank and the tank is large enough to handle all of them.) The good part is that even if you lose this spawn, Angelfish, when kept correctly, will give you many chances to "get it right." (y)

There is an old thread in this breeding forum titled 'Wigglers at last!!!!" This thread has just about everything you need to know about breeding and raising Angelfish. You may want to read through it. ;)

Hope this helps. (y)

Okay thanks I have a ten ready to go, as you had mentioned I forsure see the male having issues when I syphon them up as he always gets mad when I even try feeding them lol ??

Andy is the man check out that thread!
Maybe you can find some way to separate the parents with a divider from the fry?
Feeding them on opposite end of tank may lure them there and rest is up to you.
Good luck !

So I decided on leaving the new eggs with the swimmers and they laid they biggest batch that I've seen, so now there like over 30 swimming and like 100+ on my sponge filter, is this bad for the parents cause there's just so many wigglers? Should I start siphoning out the bigger ones or will that just make my male go crazy, ( as he attacks me when I go to feed them.) if not how big should they be before I take them away

Once the eggs hatch, the only thing the parents do is protect the young from other fish. They don't need to be with the fry at all once they hatch. You usually see a few swimmers early but the rest should follow within 24 hours. If they don't, that's a sign of some bad genetics at work. :(
FYI, with future spawns, it is much easier to move the eggs than the fry so if possible, remove the spawning site before the eggs hatch.

Hope this helps. (y)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434582648.020392.jpg a little late haha , yes those are all babies not bubbles plus that's only half that started swimming ,

Back
Top Bottom