Endler breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cwt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just picked up a pair of endlers yesterday... felt like trying a new fish, and there's nothing living in the top 80% of my 10G tank. They're both barely an inch long, so I'm not sure if they're to maturity yet. Hungry little buggers though, so I expect them to grow.

the question... are there any key things which prod these to breed, or are they just another 'add water and wait' livebearer like their guppy relatives?

Established tank, current temp is 79 degrees F, pH is a bit below 7 (working on slowly moving that up a bit, to at least 7... general hardness is 12-15).

Just raise them to maturity and they'll breed as long as they're underwater.

Yep, and I am making calls now to offload about 100 or so endlers and guppies. 1 male to two females and in no time you will have alot of endler tanks set up

Like gremlins, breed when ever wet. I had tried to get them renamed to tribble guppies, as eating seems to get them breeding too.

If the male is old enough to show coulors and she is hs size or bigger he has knocked her up.

For some reason live bearers love the fat girls. My skinny girls are very unattractive to my males and well I only got 2 or 3 big girls left.

like guppies mollies cons and so forth.... add water... shake.... pull out fry.

endlers are a great fish but nothing to show off your breeding skills about lol

ok, thanks guys... lol WhiteDevil, I think my female is one of those fat girls too... she's a good bit bigger than the male.

mosquito larvae. best thing ever. they love them and it realy fattens them up ^_^ but other live foods help condition them too

Ok, well finally I've been able to catch these guys in action. Once or twice. the female got larger. then thinner... nothing in the tank. This time. she was very well fed (maybe too much), and now today I see she's left about 12-15 fry up in the moss at one end of the tank. Question is, how many will turn out male vs female... here are pics of fry and father. btw, I am *assuming* this is a real endler. Let me know if you suspect otherwise.

Attachments

• DSC_0782.jpg
    DSC_0782.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC_0786.jpg
    DSC_0786.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 178
He looks like a true endler altho my main experiance is in black bars, and like everyone else said, put a male and 1 or prefably 2 females in a tank and if there are hiding places or everyone is full you will have more babys then you know what to do with.

Update: yeah I ended up with quite a few offspring... moved the male and about a dozen fry to the bigger tank. Adult female is still in the 10G. And that'll keep the fry down for now; the males are maturing fast and look good, whether or not they're the real endler deal. After that.... heh, time to rotate in a carnivore or two.

i have pulled 100 out of a 20 gallon and still have more lol looks like a pure endler to me.

Back
Top Bottom