Endler guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcor

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all, I've very recently acquired a handful of endlers guppies. A mix of female and male and some babies too. My only experience of live bearers so far is the platies, so I'm just looking for some info on the endlers. How long are they gravid for? Is it the same squared off shape I see in my platies that indicates birth is imminent? How many do they typically drop in one birthing? How big are the fry in comparison to the platy fry? Anything else you can think to tell me, please do! I'm assuming that I'm seeing a gravid spot (very black small area at the back of their abdomens). Thanks!

Hi all, I've very recently acquired a handful of endlers guppies. A mix of female and male and some babies too. My only experience of live bearers so far is the platies, so I'm just looking for some info on the endlers. How long are they gravid for? Is it the same squared off shape I see in my platies that indicates birth is imminent? How many do they typically drop in one birthing? How big are the fry in comparison to the platy fry? Anything else you can think to tell me, please do! I'm assuming that I'm seeing a gravid spot (very black small area at the back of their abdomens). Thanks!

Imo, guppies and platies are the same. Personally the largest I witness with own guppies are around 20 fries.

Mcor,

I have a couple of lines of Endlers. First, they are not guppys unless they are hybreds like tiger Endlers. Don't work with hybreds as I don't believe in that sort of thing. Ok, my Endler females produce upward of 30 fry. If you isolate a group of fry in a smaller tank until they are 6 wks old you should have weeded out all the males. Leave the female juves in the small tank and feed heavy for 4 more weeks. Your females should be as large a show quality female guppy. Toss them back in or better yet, get a male from else where and put him in the small tank for two weeks. The toss them back in with mom, dad and the brothers.

If healthy, your Endlers should over run a 20H every three months and be in need of culling. I have mine in 30L tanks and they have to be thined out monthly. My Jacks and convict love them, they don't care if their culls. They are cool fish and a ten gal with say 15 males looks really good.

Mcor,

I have a couple of lines of Endlers. First, they are not guppys unless they are hybreds like tiger Endlers. Don't work with hybreds as I don't believe in that sort of thing. Ok, my Endler females produce upward of 30 fry. If you isolate a group of fry in a smaller tank until they are 6 wks old you should have weeded out all the males. Leave the female juves in the small tank and feed heavy for 4 more weeks. Your females should be as large a show quality female guppy. Toss them back in or better yet, get a male from else where and put him in the small tank for two weeks. The toss them back in with mom, dad and the brothers.

If healthy, your Endlers should over run a 20H every three months and be in need of culling. I have mine in 30L tanks and they have to be thined out monthly. My Jacks and convict love them, they don't care if their culls. They are cool fish and a ten gal with say 15 males looks really good.

Thank you. Excellent info.

Remember that Endlers are similar genetically to guppies and that the main difference between is that Endlers will not feed on their young. I have kept a Beta with my Endlers successfully for about a year where the Beta helped aide in controlling the population. Before that and after that I basically give free fish away every couple months. Remember when getting rid of fish to try to keep a ratio of 2:1 (3:1 ideally) of female to males so the females are not harassed much. The spawn amount really depends on food availability and water conditions. The water conditions (that I found) with a heater keeping water around 78-79F will give more frequent spawns that around 72-75. This is know as I have studied the fish I have out and compared them to mine in my tank (heated tank vs non heated) and found this to be true.

Thank you. Yes I have excellent population control in my tank. My penguin tetras are keeping my platies in check so no doubt will do the same with the endlers. Thanks all, I think I have the majority of my answers now. :)

Back
Top Bottom