Endler Guppy Hybridization

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Istrom

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Although I love pure endlers, and my attempt to breed them horribly failed, the hybrid outcome is pretty cool.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408236559.360942.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408236575.569482.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408236590.621483.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408236618.801773.jpg

FEEDERS... lol. Most folks want pure endler's, although some of the hybrids like tiger endler's have their fans/followers. Thing is, how many failures did it take to find a popular hybrid?

I'm sure it takes a while, and even if you do get a magnificent strain there's no guarantee that it will be popular at all.

Where did you get your Endlers? I got some from Adrian on aquabid and they are breeding like crazy. It does seem Endlers take longer to mature (get colors) than guppies but otherwise my experience has been the same.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Where did you get your Endlers? I got some from Adrian on aquabid and they are breeding like crazy. It does seem Endlers take longer to mature (get colors) than guppies but otherwise my experience has been the same.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I got them from an N-class breeder on the internet, I am familiar with Adrian's strains and whatnot, but it wasn't Adrian that I got mine from. It's pretty clear though that the breeding kind of gives random results. Their colors are fairly random, but they have the endlers twin-tail thing going.

Just more proof that hybrids are not always a good thing. ;)
While some fish were developed through hybridization, it took years of crossings and selections to get the results the breeders were looking for. Case in point, one of the original successful hybrids was the red swordtail. It's origin is a cross between a green swordtail and a red platy ( as stated in the book "Handbook of tropical fishes" pg 506) From that cross came brick swords and red swords. The ones from the litter that were less red were the "bricks" and the darker ones were the "reds".
If you are serious about hybrids, it may take a few generations to get something of "value" so keep at it. Look at the history of the Pingu Guppy. It was created from one fish with one pink scale and it took 15 years ( if I remember the article in TFH mag. correctly) to get a totally pink Guppy. While not actually a hybrid, it's proof that with selective breeding, you can get some very interesting fish. ;)

(y)

I want to cross a white molly with something, what would make a nice hybrid with a white molly? She's platinum white.

I want to cross a white molly with something, what would make a nice hybrid with a white molly? She's platinum white.
A gold dust sailfin lyretail molly. If you wanna go with a completely separate species, the only one that has DNA compatible with Mollies are Guppies. But it's hard to hybridize them and all the babies are infertile and male.

Well Dandries,

Overhere it really depends on the kind of strain of endlers wether they'll turn colour faster or not in comparison to guppies.

And Istrom,

Your quote : I'm sure it takes a while, and even if you do get a magnificent strain there's no guarantee that it will be popular at all.

True! But a serious breeder will make a distinct choice how he/she will create a new strain without considering if the new strain will become popular as being a main focus.

I myself have some own created strains of endlers as well. But I've created them because I wanted to create own strains for myself without the goal of making them popular.

At this point one of my projects is a white endler strain. I've started this project last fall. And the whites will be presented during the international endler championship in Berlin, Germany this coming fall.

Here a sample of one of the males:

Attachments

• fish stan ea1 162.jpg
    fish stan ea1 162.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 111
Well Dandries,

Overhere it really depends on the kind of strain of endlers wether they'll turn colour faster or not in comparison to guppies.

And Istrom,

Your quote : I'm sure it takes a while, and even if you do get a magnificent strain there's no guarantee that it will be popular at all.

True! But a serious breeder will make a distinct choice how he/she will create a new strain without considering if the new strain will become popular as being a main focus.

I myself have some own created strains of endlers as well. But I've created them because I wanted to create own strains for myself without the goal of making them popular.

At this point one of my projects is a white endler strain. I've started this project last fall. And the whites will be presented during the international endler championship in Berlin, Germany this coming fall.

Here a sample of one of the males:

Those are cool.. Are they n class

What are all the classifications for endler's, and what is N class?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

What are all the classifications for endler's, and what is N class?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

N class is pure endler with that can be traced to their original waters

K class is endler guppy or other cross

P class is appears to be pure but can not be traced to original waters

Well, the classification has been explained. So, I don't have to get into that again.

No, this white endler which I call "white pearl endler" is a hybrid strain. So, that would be K-class. These have been bred out of my own created strain of flare red scarlets. And these flare red scarlets were created out of my regular red scarlets. In the States red scarlets are called chilli endlers.

So, that's been quite a job to create whites out of reds...

I'm a kind of busy today for I'm preparing everything for tomorrow and the coming weekend. We have the 1st dutch combination championship regarding fancy guppies, wild guppies and endlers (N-, P-, & K-class). I'll be one of the jurors. It's a dutch event but we'll also have foreign entries.

Have a great day guys,
"S"

Thanks! I'm just about to catch my 5 entries for the show to bring along tomorrow.

Hope the info has been a bit informative to you... Been keeping and breeding endlers for the past 9 years now...

I have been looking for endlers for 2 years and I finally have some, so I'm very happy now, I am planning on breeding them

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom