Endler seems dressed while giving birth.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squeaker

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone, my Endler is in labor. I noticed her early this morning when one of her tank mates was chasing her out of my fry grass. I watched as she went right back down there. I noticed she released an empty yolk sack, I have put her in my fry/birthing tank, she has had two more empty sacks and one fry who got stuck for about five minutes, but now she's just looking extremely stressed and uncomfortable. Is there anything I can do to help her. I have already the turned the light off yo see if that helps. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

29g Tropical Freshwater 2 female Endlers, 2 female Mollies, 1 male Molly, 1 male Tuxedo Guppy, 6 Pepper Corys, 2 Assassin Snails, 6 Ghost Shrimp...

10g Tropical Freshwater 13 various Endler and Molly fry, 4 Pepper Corys and 3 Ghost Shrimp...

Unfortunately there isn't anything you can for her. She'll just have to manage, if she can. If you pull on a fry, you may well rip it in pieces and if you were to squeeze her, you'd probably hurt her or the fry or both. I know it's not easy to see a pet having problems like this, but unlike cats and dogs, theres just not much you can do for a labouring live bearer. Leaving the lights off is a good idea though.

If she manages to have some live fry and she lives, great. But she may have some sort of internal issue that makes birthing problematic. If so, might want to separate her from any more males so she won't mate again, though she may well have enough stored sperm to have several more broods already.

Best of luck.

Yes, Fishfur is right!
How uncomfortable it is to see her stress out like that, there's really not much you can do for her. Hopefully, she'll survive herself as well...
I do have to admit that this may happen from time to time. If she's releasing her fry in a hard way, doesn't mean that she'll have the same problems over and over... Believe me, also here it does happen occasionally...

Update: I'm happy to report the one and only fry she had is two week old now. It was the one that was stuck. The fry looks healthy and is growing.

29g Tropical Freshwater 2 female Endlers, 2 female Mollies, 1 male Molly, 1 male Tuxedo Guppy, 6 Pepper Corys, 2 Assassin Snails, 6 Ghost Shrimp...

10g Tropical Freshwater 13 various Endler and Molly fry, 4 Pepper Corys and 3 Ghost Shrimp...

Glad to hear!!

And in the future don't worry too much- it does happen sometimes just like in humans where there are complications. I've lost some before during birth so it isn't something you did wrong or didn't do

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom