Endler's Livebearer Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had a 2.5 gallon tank set up with just a filter, some plants, rocks, and shells which is a great set up for dwarf shrimp, the temperature stays around 70F. However yesterday and today I've collected around 10ish Endler's Livebearers:eek: fry and they're also in the tank as well. What should I do for the fry? They're about 1/4th of an inch or about 1/2 of a centimeter. Should I look for a heater? I'm clueless, please help! I'm most concerned about the shrimp considering I just got them within the past week and have completely fallen head over heels in love with them! I also have another small tank that's about 2.5g as well and if the shrimp or fry is in danger of dying or something. Any tips or advice would be greatly welcomed!:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

Here are some pictures of the fry and shrimp:)
img_1606551_0_ab9330530b886a282a907b258f75d7ed.jpg
img_1606551_1_9610a7ca729bda4bea7f8a94a0aed981.jpg
img_1606551_2_f10058da742cba28cc0da0ce0532dc53.jpg
img_1606551_3_a8eff8d250d8ef064f744da1bfa79777.jpg

I feed them, now, 3 times a day flakes and pellets. I also have algae covered rocks in there for the shrimp!

wait you have endlers in your shrimp tank? did you buy them? i thought it was a shrimp only tank.

wait you have endlers in your shrimp tank? did you buy them? i thought it was a shrimp only tank.
I have endlers in there because I found some fry in my 13 gallon tank and my sister didn't want them to be eaten by the betta and platy in there so I put the fry in that tank because it was the only tank that I had that didn't have anything that would eat them in. I wanted the tank to shrimp only but the one of the endlers had to go be a girl and go get knocked up...

I guess that I'll be keeping them. And no, I've never raised fry. I've been reading as much as I've been able to on how to raise them. I posted on here because I wanted to get some personal experience from people on here:)

well raising livebearer fry is fun and imo, easy. if your other 2.5 gallon is cycled thats were i would put them. how big are the shrimp again? you may not need to worry about separating them. do you know what you plan on feeding the fry?

The shrimp are between .25" and 1.25". I've been feeding them the same thing as the shrimp, but everything in smaller form. I mean the flakes crushed to a powder as well as the pellets. I can make the 2.5 cycled because I some extra filter media that's all seeded and such, if I need to separate them.

So am I doing this correctly? Or am I messing up? I'm scared that if I do anything wrong that something will die...

Okay I'll keep am eye on them. There hasn't been any issue with them yet:). Thanks though for everything!!!!!:thanks:

I am going to chime in here and say that the fry will do better at a higher temperature. 70 is pretty low, fry do much better at higher temps. I wouldn't be concerned about the shrimp and fry eating each other at those sizes, but I do think its in the best interest of the fry to be in a warmer tank.
Since you have another 2.5g tank anyway, I recommend putting the fry in there with a heater until they are bigger than bite-sized, then put them back in with the adults. Also, I would suggest selling off your females if you don't have a place for more fry.

AquaKai said:
Here are some pictures of the fry and shrimp:)

I feed them, now, 3 times a day flakes and pellets. I also have algae covered rocks in there for the shrimp!

wat do the adult endless look like

absolutangel04 said:
I am going to chime in here and say that the fry will do better at a higher temperature. 70 is pretty low, fry do much better at higher temps. I wouldn't be concerned about the shrimp and fry eating each other at those sizes, but I do think its in the best interest of the fry to be in a warmer tank.
Since you have another 2.5g tank anyway, I recommend putting the fry in there with a heater until they are bigger than bite-sized, then put them back in with the adults. Also, I would suggest selling off your females if you don't have a place for more fry.

Your right. The temp in my fry tank is at 83 and now you can tell their sex after 3 months. Well, not all of them. Half of them. So far 3males and 6 females

Okay, I'll try to get the fry a warmer tank! Thanks for you input!!! I'm going to move the female endler from all the males asap! Some how she survived the males, even though I've read everywhere that she would get too pestered to live, but she does the pestering!!! I'll move the fry to a warmer tank and the female one to another tank as well.(y):thanks::thanks::thanks: Thank you so much angel!!!

AquaKai said:
Okay, I'll try to get the fry a warmer tank! Thanks for you input!!! I'm going to move the female endler from all the males asap! Some how she survived the males, even though I've read everywhere that she would get too pestered to live, but she does the pestering!!! I'll move the fry to a warmer tank and the female one to another tank as well.(y):thanks::thanks::thanks: Thank you so much angel!!!

Ya usualy with breeding, user experience varys. So don't always trust every forum. Us ur own experience as well as the most logical ones. Not necessarily here, but defiantly eslwar

Ya usualy with breeding, user experience varys. So don't always trust every forum. Us ur own experience as well as the most logical ones. Not necessarily here, but defiantly eslwar
Yeah, thanks for that! I've coming to realize that:) Also would a 25w heater be over kill in a 2.5g tank? The petland down the road from mehas a 25w, 50w, and 75w heaters all for $10, and the 10w one was $15...

AquaKai said:
Yeah, thanks for that! I've coming to realize that:) Also would a 25w heater be over kill in a 2.5g tank? The petland down the road from mehas a 25w, 50w, and 75w heaters all for $10, and the 10w one was $15...

Hmm, i think it will be fine. But try it in the tank with no fish in it, just to see what will happen. I use a 50wat tetra heater in a 5g, on the lowest setting, and it kept my tank at 78.
And i keep my endler and platy fry in my cherry shrimp tank until they are about 1.5 months old. They dont bother the shrimp to my knowledge. I did this due to lack lf space and i think the fry enjoy it more than a boring cycled rubbermaid container

Hmm, i think it will be fine. But try it in the tank with no fish in it, just to see what will happen. I use a 50wat tetra heater in a 5g, on the lowest setting, and it kept my tank at 78.
And i keep my endler and platy fry in my cherry shrimp tank until they are about 1.5 months old. They dont bother the shrimp to my knowledge. I did this due to lack lf space and i think the fry enjoy it more than a boring cycled rubbermaid container
Thanks! I might get the 50w then... I still think that I am going to move them to another tank, but it'll have some decoration and such. Thanks though!!:thanks::thanks:

Back
Top Bottom