Exciting news!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

burrhubb

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just wanted to share my news to you guys/girls.

I brought some guppies Sunday (first lot of fish I've owned.) I brought 12 in total 4m 8f) but unfortunately one male looked poorly by the time I got him home. by the time I introduced them into the tank, within an hour this poorly male died :( was so sad. These fish were in male and female tanks when I brought them so I didn't think any would be pregnant.
I did a 25% water change yesterday and unfortunately by the evening to more died :( (females) and one male was looking poorly. so I was very worried over night I would come down to no fish at all. That was not the case :D I still had 9 little fishes looking very happy. Fed them as normal made sure they all ate and they did. Yay!!!

Couple hours later I look into the tank, some thing was catching my eye that didn't look right. So over I go and what do I see........... LITTLE BABY FRY!!!!!!! :D was so happy to see them but I don't know who mummy is!!!??? The only one that seemed to be "resting" was the male.
The only one I can think of was "tiger" but I was questioning whether she was pregnant even if she was I wouldn't of thought she was ready to drop!! Who knows who mummy fish is. :)
I was worried about my fry as I saw a couple being sucked up by my filter/pump. So I grabbed an old sandwich box put holes in side and bottom. Then fished all the fry I could see into the box. Floated it in the tank. Think I've rescued 13 in total included the ones in filter. :) haha I rushed out to get one of those floating breeding boxes and transferred them into there.

So now I have these little guys apart from crushing flake food up really small do I need to do anything else? How many times a day do I feed fry? Are they ok in box till they can be transferred into main tank when big enough not to be eaten. I am planning on getting nursery tank but can't afford it just yet. I didn't think I would need it yet!!! Haha.

So happy I have baby fish but just wish I knew who mummy was. I thought I was looking at tank religiously as well. Oh well guess still an awful lot to learn!!!!

Happy happy happy!!!!

congratulations!!! :) flake food will work but hikari first bites work better imo. you will need to feed them 3-5 times a day for the first week then 2-3 times a day after and you will need to cull the deformed ones so be prepare to have to euthanize some

Back
Top Bottom