Feeder fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Critter1990

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is just a thought right now but does anyone know how I would go about to breed some type of feeder fish for my jack Dempsey?

What kinds of live foods are best and most healthy for them? I seem to remember guppies weren't necessarily most nutritious feeders:confused:.

Also the nutritious healthy foods you feed the feeders will benefit the fish which eats them. :cool:

I am not sure, this idea just popped in my head one day! I have to do some research

Feeder fish have little to zero nutritional value, they can promote aggression, and cause health problems like fatty liver disease. But if your set on trying this than I'd suggest Amatitlania nigrofasciata, you'll get huge spawns every 15-21 days.

HUKIT said:
Feeder fish have little to zero nutritional value, they can promote aggression, and cause health problems like fatty liver disease. But if your set on trying this than I'd suggest Amatitlania nigrofasciata, you'll get huge spawns every 15-21 days.

Ok I've given this some more thought. Whatever your going to use as feeders, do as you would for reptiles, gut load them. Give the feeders highly nutritious feed, which will make them somewhat healthy, then feed them to your big fish. But do not use these fish as the sole food staple.

Ok I've given this some more thought. Whatever your going to use as feeders, do as you would for reptiles, gut load them. Give the feeders highly nutritious feed, which will make them somewhat healthy, then feed them to your big fish. But do not use these fish as the sole food staple.

Seems like a silly argument about gut loading, why not just skip the middle man and feed the quality food directly to the fish?

True. But I'm just trying to help with the original question. Maybe they just want to see the big fish eat live food.'shrugs'

Just feed em as a treat and stick with the good staple for daily feeding. Only times I'd bother gutloading feeders is with a live food only predator.

As to what to breed, daphnia, earthworms, guppies/endlers.

Back
Top Bottom