feeders for murray cod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coaldrake

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all i just got a murray cod now i wanna start breeding feeders for him and 2archer fish hes only 3 inches long atm but i want something that will feed him when hes bigger too. Question is what should i breed how big of a tank i need and do you think this can be a sustanable way to keep the food up at a later date thanks for any help

Neither do I but my suggestion would be maybe a smaller species of shrimp while he is still a little guy or possibly minnows (beware of disease) then when he gets bigger maybe try breeding feeder goldfish (to prevent disease). Like I said I also know nothing about this type of fish so this is just a suggestion. I have seen some pretty nasty feeder fish tanks though so maybe start with a pair or 2 from the cleanest lfs to start the breeding process and get them healthy before introducing them as food. I would recommend maybe a type of danio or tetra but I have had those as pets before so I can't lol

Thanks been catching shrimp from the creek out back keeping them in salt water for the day then moving them to a small tank and keeping them there with bubbles is thos right thats how i was told to make them safe at my lfs.
Ive kept plenty of goldfish before they never had babys tho any idea how to breed them and how big of a tank i will need to ulimatly get 2 or three a day?

Someone will have to chime in about the saltwater but I think that might be iffy because then you could introduce saltwater into your freshwater fishs digestive system. As for the feeder fish I've seen probably 1000s at once in a 20 maybe 30 gallon tank at the lfs. I'm not saying this is right. But maybe see if your favorite store will let you see that their water from the feeder fish tank checks out ok and inspect the fish for any telltale signs if disease. If all is good I would personally set up a 10 gallon and after it is cycled buy enough to feed him for a week or 2 and just keep refilling it with fish as needed.

Yea keen on making things a bit cheaper as my fish get bigger. can i breed guppys and goldfish in the same tank if so how i will soon have a spare cycled 20gal laying around

I think alot if people go with guppies. I dunno if goldfish lay eggs or not but I would think any live bearer would be the way to go, that way you don't have to worry about hatching eggs. Someone recently suggested a pair of convicts on another thread. They are egg layers(mouth brooders?) i just know once they start breeding people tend to be over run. Platys and Molly's are live bearers also.

I think breeding convicts would need a bigger tank then the others. If you know your going to be breeding any of the fish long term maybe get a slightly bigger tank... 20-35g so that you have plenty of space for the fry to get bigger if you know you will want bigger feeders eventually. With guppies they would probably be okay in a 10g with good filtration and regular water changes. But since you specifically want them to breed for food I'm gonna say the bigger the Better so it's easier to keep water quality good and disease free.

Yea guppys will be good for 12 monthes or so and for the archers for ever but. when the cod gets bigger he will eat 10 to 20 a day i think i need something bigger too

breeding guppys and goldfish

no you cant breed goldfish and guppys in the same tank what you need too do imo is get some mosquito fish from the ditches and breed them but quarntine them first to get them healthy then you got plenty fresh food also you cancollect mosquito larva in the spring and summer just my thoughts i know nothing about feeding predators also the lake near mw has freshwater grass shrimp i catch them all the time by using pillow case attached to a long pole by stiff wire you just have to go wading

Molly's and platys are bigger. I know nothing aboyt breeding gold fish but I've never read any thing about anyone actually doing it, or how big they are when sexually mature. Guppies and other live bearers will take over a tank quickly. So if you start with a good number you shouldn't have many issues. Maybe need a bigger tank though.

There what he has been getting cant swaalow a big mosquito fish but fry n shrimp make him fat dunno might look into convicts

The only thought I have on the convicts depending on how big you want them is that they can be pretty aggressive while breeding not sure how it works with feeding mature aggressive fish to other fish. But more research will probably answer that....

I have been thats been his staple diet mosquito fish fry cant eat big ones yet and shrimp he loves shrimp

I have been thats been his staple diet mosquito fish fry cant eat big ones yet and shrimp he loves shrimp

I hear shrimp are pretty easy to tank breed too. Not sure about the ones your feeding now but maybe look into that too.

Yeah hope so hard to kill sounds good i dont wanna spend more time looking after pet food than i do my pets

Yeah hope so hard to kill sounds good i dont wanna spend more time looking after pet food than i do my pets

If you have a local Craigslist people are always trying to offload convicts because The way they breed like mad. I could see it being fairly neat because they are pretty cool looking fish to have a pair of... Have fun.

Yea and thats a big part of it if my feeders are cool the better i will tale care of them too

Back
Top Bottom