Feeding Molly Fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordinho80

Aquarium Advice Freak
How often should I feed my molly fry? I am feeding First Bites...anything else I should be giving them? Got about 15-20 of them in a breeder right now...want them to grow enough to not worry about bigger mollies eating them...

thanks...
Mario

I would feed them twice a day. I've always just fed my babies, finely crushed flake food. You could try that and alternate it with the first bites.

Most live bearer fry is much larger than egg fry. I just put a pinch of flake in my palm and rub it to a very fine powder. I probably have 120 molly fry from 1/4 inch to 1 inch plus. You will probably lose some but I think that is natures way with the weaker dying off. Good luck and start shopping for another tank if you are going to keep mollies:lol: :lol:

I feed my newly born molly fry two to four times a day with Liquifry No 2. When they get older I start feeding them New Life Spectrum Grow Formula and frozen foods like brine shrimp.

how long do they take to grow to a size where i can just let them roam free in the tank without having to worry about mommy and the other mollies eating them?

thanks for all the replies...

my little guys have gotten significantly larger this past week...i am still at a large number...didnt expect so many to stick around...still have 17 i think...

2 were from a silver lyretail that had 15 but only those 2 survived...they came a week before the others which are from black mollies...they are a little larger then the blacks but the blacks are growing rather rapidly too...

the silver mother looks as if she is ready to release another batch real soon...these mollies are crazy...i originally just wanted a couple of them for my 10 gal tank but i think i might forget about the cichlids and set my 55 gal up with a ton of mollies...i have a handful of the silvers and of the blacks...with the fry getting almost big enough for the big tank, i am ponderring whether i should keep them or sell them... :?:

will petco or petsmart buy back mollies...i know this one place about 15 mins from me will, Animals-N-things...i might have to commute there...has anyone ever sold mollies?

gheitman said:
I've found that the other mollies will leave the fry alone. I don't use a breeding net at all.

What type of mollies do you have? My sailfins will snarf up every baby in a spawn given half a chance.

Gordinho80 said:
my little guys have gotten significantly larger this past week...i am still at a large number...didnt expect so many to stick around...still have 17 i think...

Out of a typical spawn of 45-80 fry from my sailfins, I usually have 30-60 that reach saleable size.

will petco or petsmart buy back mollies...i know this one place about 15 mins from me will, Animals-N-things...i might have to commute there...has anyone ever sold mollies?

You will have to ask each individually. I sell my fry via the internet, local aquarium society auctions, and to a few LFSes.

Back
Top Bottom