Female blue ram bullying my male

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pixelcatt

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had several successful pairs of rams in the past. I just brought home a new pair of mature rams. One was clearly the dominant male of the tank when I picked him out, the other was clearly female when compared with its tank mates. The first night I brought them home they acted paired up and stuck close. The next day they stayed at opposite ends. Behaviour I've seen before, they can take time to warm up to each other. But today the female has been charging at the male. I've never seen a female be the aggressor before. Is this normal?

It occurred to me the my 'female' could be an inbred male, but it seemed so clearly female at the store. She doesn't make an actual impact when charging him. She stops short, and then has his full attention and then it's like a show down, but she only goes at him indirectly when he can't see her coming. She never attacks straight on.

I was wondering if anyone had seen a female be on the tenacious side? I hadn't, but that could be cause I was getting them from a different breeding stock.

Back
Top Bottom