Female guppy pregnant or bloated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lisalouise

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm in need of expert advise.. Does my guppy look pregnant or does she have bloat? She's still eating, but refuses peas. I stopped feeding for a few days.. I've isolated her in a separate tank, she seems stressed and uncomfortable. Her poo is white and stringy, newby to breeding, and if she's pregnant how far along would she be? I've added some Epson salts just in case it's constipation. Help??

Attachments

• IMG_20191217_025931.jpg
    IMG_20191217_025931.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 1,236
  • IMG_20191217_025732.jpg
    IMG_20191217_025732.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 2,557
  • IMG_20191217_025933.jpg
    IMG_20191217_025933.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 137
She looks very pregnant.
When breeding it's a lot less stressful if you leave the female in the tank instead of moving her. That's what i do with my platys. As long as you have plenty of hiding spots for the fry most should survive.

She looks verry pregnant and ready, she should give birth any hour now.. i find that if u really want to breed with them its best to move the fry in something else guppy are small fish to and even with good hiding spots they still find the fry :/

Hello Lis...

You can help a stressed, pregnant fish by making the tank water extra clean and adding a little standard aquarium salt to the replacement water. Up your water change amount a little and make the new water a bit warmer than normal. Add a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every five gallons of the new, treated tap water. Include a little Spirulina to the menu. This flaked food is high fiber and high nutrient. The new, warmer water will encourage the fish to drop her fry. The salt will relax her and the extra fiber and nutrients will get the fish's digestion back on track.

B

Hi thank you for replying but she has got worse and is looking as like a pine cone. I'm thinking if she's pregnant she has something else wrong with her too. Is this dropsy if she looks like a pine cone..?? I don't know how to send pics sorry..

The front part of the body in the pic seems too big at the front below the head.

It is likely that she won't make it after getting pine coned. It usually means there is kidney damage and excess water retention. It could have been from illness - dangerous levels of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate in the water, or even from a problem of not being able to give birth.

As mentioned perfectly clean water / perfect parameters are the 1st thing. Having a cycled tank is important. If it isn't cycled, or you threw away the filter pad and replaced it, or rinsed it in plain tap water, will cause BB to be lost of killed with chlorinated water.

check the article in my signature - "getting started" for cycling the tank "fish in" and other important critical fish keeping tips.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Help me idk how long my guppy has left

How long does my guppy have left in her pregnancy??

Attachments

• 6DDA5EDA-9FD8-4A69-8548-FFDE4621098F.jpg
    6DDA5EDA-9FD8-4A69-8548-FFDE4621098F.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 228
  • 10F8C8F8-FC6E-494C-85DE-5721A307F306.jpg
    10F8C8F8-FC6E-494C-85DE-5721A307F306.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 54
  • DE98036E-6671-43F7-820C-6D142C865212.jpg
    DE98036E-6671-43F7-820C-6D142C865212.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 58
She is fussy when it comes to eating at the moment and she is showing signs of pregnant and she has been pregnant now for about 20 - 25 days ruffly but idk how long she has until she drops

I have some more guppies in the tank and it’s 28 degrees Celsius or 82 Fahrenheit because it said to raise the temperature a bit to make her give birth quicker but I need to know how long she has left

And my other guppie looks even closer to giving birth

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 65
You can see the "squared off" look in that last pic. Seems very close.

It is about 28 days for birthing. It can vary depending upon the tank conditions. It is easier to tell by seeing the squared off body, and also you can sometimes see their eyes, then it is a day or 2. Stress can cause a Guppy to hold off on giving birth.

A good idea, is to do a couple water changes - get the tank water in the best possible condition, vac the substrate, BEFORE you start getting lots of babies!

Cheers, I have her in a breeder box as you can see, should i take her out or leave her in there?? Because wouldn't that just cause her to get more stressed if I take her out

I would get some locally super easy to grow stem plants to float in the top making a nice space with crisscrossed stems making nice places to hide for her and and the babies.

My experience is that the females get more stressed in a plain container and limited movement area, no place to hide and other fish swimming next to her.

well i do have one plant a baby tear and i might get some more but that wont be until a week or two yet so should i leave her in the?? i also do have a spare tank so i could just take all the guppies out and put them in the spare tank idk??

Any fake plants to lay on top of water for cover?

You can move the momma to a spare tank. Still need some cover / plants, if there is any way possible. Completely bare tank is stressful.

Their nature is to seek seclusion and safety, birthing leaves them feeling vulnerable. Plastic plants are okay. They are fairly inexpensive. If you find used ones (from someone or at a thrift store, just use bleach water - CDC recommends 1 cup bleach to 5 gallons of water for sanitizing.

Let soak for an hour

Let dry

rinse off

and then soak in treated (extra dechlorinator added) decholrinated water for a little while half hour and rinse again after that.

I do have like five fake plants but they sit at the bottom no fake Lilly pads or that stuff

Back
Top Bottom