few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talon242

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm almost ready to throw my diy co2 together. I plan on doing one of the 2 liter bottle cheap ones. Will i need a valve or something incase the levels co2 levels get too high. And what is a safe level, and how do you test for it.

Dontcha hate it when people answer questions with a link? :wink: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

Measuring CO2 is easy as long as you know your KH and pH, and as a low KH is risky when injecting CO2, it is good to keep on top of that.

If you install a T-splitter to the airline tube and cover the bottom of the "T" with a soft plastic cap, it will blow there first if there is a buildup of pressure (good idea, once my airline tube got pinched underneath my canopy by accident and I came extremely close to blowing yeast mixture all over the place - I caught it in time)

Talon -
What size tank are you talking about?
Different reactors are recommended for different size tanks.
Do you know the kH of your tanks water? If not, you need to find out before injecting any CO2 into it. If you have soft water with a low kH, you could kill fish unless the water has a decent amount of 'buffer'.
BTW, if you haven't already gone there, TankGirl's link to Chuck Gadd's site will answer a bunch of questions for you.

Len

I don't know what the kh is I have to find a test kit. And my tank is 50 gallons.

I was not happy with the ladder diffuser on my 55, but I have heard of others having great CO2 levels with them, as long as they are hooked up to the 2liter bottles. I got a power diffuser from Floridadriftwood.com that I love, though you could make one yourself pretty easy with the rigid end of a gravel vac hose and a powerhead.

I use the AP KH test kit, it is combined with a GH test.

An AquaClear 402 power head makes a great reactor for a tank of that size. I'm currently using one in each of my 55s with good results.
On one I'm using the 'siphon tube' end of a small siphon with a piece of sponge in it to dissolve the mist further before it gets into the water column. On the other I just let it blow the mist right into the tank, and to be honest, I'm seeing very similar results with either arrangement.
If I were to set up another tank, I'd just go with the power head and let it chop them up and inject them.

Len

If worried about too much CO2, I doubt you will get too much with just one 2 liter in a 50 gallon and probably you won't get too much with two of them. I have a 2 liter in a 20 gallon and have never had a problem. When I remember to keep it going, you can run a regular airstone with air pump at night (on a timer) to put a lot of O2 and surface turbulance in the water column at night... to keep the pH from dropping at night. And if you are dropping pH and KH you can put some oyster shell or crushed coral in your filter to bring it up a bit. But you'll have to experiment as to what works best as all depends on your pH and KH.

At least that's my best guess. But do check you KH and pH so you can figure out your dissolved CO2 as others have suggested. HTH.

Back
Top Bottom