First attempt to breed my angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I thought I'd document my breeding pair of gold veil angelfish!

Just recently set up a 33 gallon natural themed tank for them, recorded them today as being their first day in the tank and I will be recording them as events unfold! Minimum amount of videos I hope to post will be once a week. I hope you subscribe to the thread and my account!

Any comments and feedback will be greatly appreciated! Enjoy

Watch "Gold Veil Angelfish Breeding DAY:1" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/vQ012eqKHUI

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good luck.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks right now I have a 10 gallon set up just to place the eggs in to be safe, they already eaten 5 batches of fry

They love to do that. It can be hard to find a pair that'll parent raise. If you got any questions feel free to ask. I breed angels. Also the great ANDY SAGER has an amazingly informative thread about his angelfish hatchery. Its called Wigglers 2: birth of a hatchery.

I appreciate that, if I were to remove the fry from the tank what would be the safest way to do so?

I'm under the impression that you move the slate or cone the angels lay the eggs on as soon as they lay them and grow the fry in their own tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm under the impression that you move the slate or cone the angels lay the eggs on as soon as they lay them and grow the fry in their own tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I thought of doing that but didn't know if exposing them to air would be bad, I also thought of using a turkey baster and just sucking them off the pic pipe then placing them in my 10 gallon with a sponge filter

If you read Andy Sager ' s breeding thread he removes the whole slate and places in a different tank. I don't think you have to worry about short air exposure. Never bred angels but my cory eggs get exposed to air when I move them to no I'll effects.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Yep. I just put the slate they lay on in a seperate tank. I dose MB to help with fungus control on the eggs. I use an Airstone for aeration. Its helpful if the other container you use is bare. Just eggs, slate or wood or what have ya that they laid on, and an airstone.

Yep. I just put the slate they lay on in a seperate tank. I dose MB to help with fungus control on the eggs. I use an Airstone for aeration. Its helpful if the other container you use is bare. Just eggs, slate or wood or what have ya that they laid on, and an airstone.

How much mb should I put in a 10 gallon ? How often should I do water changes?

1-2 drops per gallon. Every other day.

How much does mb help the survival rate of the eggs and fry.

It helps the eggs not fungus and not turn white on ya. Which means a better hatch rate.

It helps the eggs not fungus and not turn white on ya. Which means a better hatch rate.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile
If my pair has been eating the eggs when they were with discus and other angels now that they are alone should I risk leaving the eggs in or just Tae them out right away

I'd take them out. But you can always give em a chance to see how they do with the eggs.

When I listen to Poppa my results in breeding improve!
MB with eggs separated.
Then remove the MB with carbon and water changes after hatch.

Adam, Poppa and Andy are the two best here to get info from. They've talked me through my first attempt at breeding. My Angels ate the first 3 spawns they had, but that was my fault. Seems like anything that scared them and they would eat the eggs. Fourth try I partially covered the tank with a towel all day until the fry started free swimming. Good luck! You'll love it when they start swimming. It's more work, but well worth the effort when you see them growing!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Adam, Poppa and Andy are the two best here to get info from. They've talked me through my first attempt at breeding. My Angels ate the first 3 spawns they had, but that was my fault. Seems like anything that scared them and they would eat the eggs. Fourth try I partially covered the tank with a towel all day until the fry started free swimming. Good luck! You'll love it when they start swimming. It's more work, but well worth the effort when you see them growing!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks, I think I'll put them in a seperate 10 gallon with mb. What happens if I can't remove the mb will it harm the fry?

You can... WCs and carbon will remove any harmful effects. Be warned though.... that stuff will turn you and your carpet and your kids and your counters and etc.... smurf blue. It stains so be careful when dosing. I wear latex gloves when using. Ive read and been told that Prolonged exposure could possibly hurt fry swim bladder development. But i have not witnessed this myself or had any ill effects with its use. I don't even measure MB anymore, but i always suggest others do.

You can... WCs and carbon will remove any harmful effects. Be warned though.... that stuff will turn you and your carpet and your kids and your counters and etc.... smurf blue. It stains so be careful when dosing. I wear latex gloves when using. Ive read and been told that Prolonged exposure could possibly hurt fry swim bladder development. But i have not witnessed this myself or had any ill effects with its use. I don't even measure MB anymore, but i always suggest others do.

Sounds like a plan, I'm getting pretty excited !

Back
Top Bottom