Fish Breeding Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kingcichlid87

Aquarium Advice Activist
im building a fish room under construction as we speak and i dont kow what i want to breed yet.

i have a group of angelfish but there all juviniles still so will have to wait for pairs to form before i even think about breeding them.

i was thinking cichlids but im not too sure at the moment

i thought it would be good to see what people like breeding so leave comments.

i know its my project and my personal prefrence but i would still like peoples input.

What do you want to breed for? If you like the strategy of it then start cheap and easy and work your way to slightly harder fish to breed as you go skipped the live bearer step and went straight to mouth brooders. There a lot of enjoyment in watching the fish grow and then mate and raise their young. Even more enjoyment comes from curing your best looking male peacock of an ailment and watching him want to spawn again, or having a tank of prolific breeders stop breeding for months and then start again after you have changed temps, added fish, removed fish, moved decor, changed feeding pattern, and treated for disease trying to figure out what their problem is. Or having females that won't hold their eggs and having to learn to strip and tumble and feed them your self. Mbuna from Malawi are pretty tough and their eggs are pretty hardy. Peacocks get a little more difficult when it comes to spawning and tumbling their eggs. If you are hoping to breed angels because you love the way they look and hope to sell them, then I suggest dedicating your room to multiple angel pairs and grow out tanks. Angels aren't easy or terribly hard But if you aren't a little experienced then you'll have a lot of trial and error

Just curious, How can you be building a fish breeding room when you don't know what you want to breed? The set up won't be the same for all fish. You wouldn't breed let's say, Tetras in the same size tanks you'd breed, say, Oscars. Make your set up with the right tanks.
I'd suggest you settle on what you are going to breed then set up your room to accomodate those fish. ;)

Hope this helps(y)

i have loads of diffrent size tanks i have 6x 2ft tanks and i have 6x 3ft tanks . ive had the tanks a while but didnt have the time to build the breeding room .

What you need to do is ask around your local fish shops if they will buy fish from you. Then you need to ask what fish are in high demand, research them and hopefully breed them.

ok thanks i have sold a qite a few bumblebee cichlids this week . but i wanted to try something diffrent .

i know angelfish are very popular i have people asking me regularly for them . so it might be a good idea to do some angelfish

Back
Top Bottom