fish "pregnant"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
leesanhua said:
how can i tell molly is "pregnant"?

if you have a male molly in the tank with her, she is probably constantly pregnant so the real issue is "when is she is due to give birth."

The molly's belly will look really swollen like she is about to explode. To make sure she has not gotten a large belly due to overfeeding, do not feed the fish for a day and if the belly is still very large, then she is pregnant and about to give birth.

sorry i do not know about convicts

it is not

Your molly is a livebearer, she will be pregnant for 4-6 weeks and the babies are born free swimming. She will get fat in the belly and when she is ready to give birth she will probably sit on the bottem of the tank, but sometimes they do go and sit in a top corner.

As for you convicts they are egg layers, if you have a pair the male will prepar a spawning site ie.. slate, flower pot, cave etc. the female will get a little plump in the belly region and when the site is ready she will team up with the male and lay here eggs.

HTH

my mollys are nice and fat when they are pregnat and just before the drop there belly go's abit flat so keep a good eye on her.as soon as she has droped the mail will be back on her case for some more loving every 4 weeks i was having babys.
good luck mate hope you have some baby mollys soon...one thing i will say is be very careful as she will eat the babys as quick as they are coming out. :)

yes. like terry said my molly sit at the bottom of the tank and sometimes she goes to the top corner. But .. i don't see she got a fat belly. She still eat but when she swim, she seldom use her fin but her body... now.. is this consider that she ready to give birth?
she is a Lyertail molly.

thks

convict laid eggs!!

my convict just laid eggs. what should i do now? pls advice.
wht temp do i need to maintain?
do i need to put some salt?

Congrats on your cichlid laying eggs, you don't have to do anything. Your convicts will look after the eggs and when they hatch will look after the young as well. The only thing you might find is they might get a little aggressive now. The male convict will be very protective towards the eggs and young and will defend there territory with his life.

the only time you have to put anything in the tank is if you are trying to hatch the eggs yourself and you can use some Methylene blue, but if your fish are faning the eggs they will look after them there selves and remove any dodgy eggs.

HTH

my molly had babys on saturday, i was getting 1 of my tiger barbs out form behind da pump wen i saw sank swimmin around in the pump. There was lots of BABIES but i only maneged to save 6. 2 hav died but 4 r doing well and they r getting very big!!! So watch ur pump!!!!!! is it true that they hav babies every 4 wks???????? :D

Mollies will have babies every 4-6 months as long as there is a male in the tank. Congrats on the fry, Kellie. Its exciting when you find all those little fishies swimming around in the tank, that's part of the reason that I am hooked on livebearers even though I know that I can't keep all of the fry.

o rite thanx. i thought it was 4-6 weeks. phew! they r gettin biger and bigger every day. i cant wait 2 get more!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom