Fishless Cycle with surprise fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paviduz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently started a fishless cycle on a ten gallon tank (currently day 6). Problem arises in that the owner of the tank listened to the LFS and put three Zebra Danios in the tank before I was able to convince her to remove them to another tank and cycle the ten gallon fishlessly. As might be imagined, though it didn't cross my mind at the time, within a few days (4th day of the cycle) a number of fry appeared. The number has since grown to roughly 45 free swimming fry and there would appear to be a number of eggs still unhatched. The fry appear healthy, and the current ammonia reading is roughly 2ppm. The problem arises in the fact that while earlier decreasing, the fry have lead the level to stay at 2ppm for the past 3 days. (I obviously stopped adding ammonia with the discovery of the fry). Nitrite levels by the way have been and continue to be 0.

I realize the fry ought to be removed, but at the moment the only place I have to put them is in a breeder net in the unfiltered 5 gallon tank I'm keeping the three mature danios in for the duration of the cycle (daily 50-70% water changes). I'm hesitant to place them in a seperate unfiltered container for fear that the daily water changes would risk some of them getting sucked up and discarded (unintentionally of course). I'm also not certain as to how long so many fry would be comfortable in the rather small breeder net, were it to be suspended in their parents tank (with the dropping water level during water changes also being a problem). I'm new to the hobby myself, and written research can only take one so far. Any advice from those with real world experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If it were me I would look into trying to get some Bio-spira. It will allow you to cycle the tank instanly. It is the only cycle product out there that is shown to work.

Otherwise I guess you should start doing water changes to get that ammonia down really low. But it sure is going to slow the cycle.

Bio-Spira is definately the way to go. However, there are some considerations for using it. First, I would move the fry to the unfiltered tank (this would only be for a short period of time and Danios are hardy so don't be too worried.) Then, I would completely change the water in the tank you have been trying to cycle. Dechlorinate the water and let the filter, water, etc run for 24 hours. This gives your water time to get to the appropriate temperature. Then, add Bio-Spira and put ALL of your fish into your now newly cycled tank.

Bio-Spira is wonderful but there is a catch to using it. You see, Bio-Spira is a refrigerated "live" bacteria. It is the kind of bacteria that would develop naturally through the ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate cycle. And like that bacteria it will die off if not given a food source. So, if you add bio-Spira and then you only add 1 fish the bacteria that is not getting food source will die and it will be like cycling a new tank.
With 45 fry and 3 mature Danios I think you will be safe adding the Bio-Spira, but remember also, you will have to move alot of those Danios in very short order because your load will be too heavy for a 10g tank as the fry start to mature.

I hope this is helpful information and good luck. Oh, by the way, are you by chance using a Bio-Wheel filter? If not you may want to consider it. They are fantastic!

Good Luck! :D

Thanks for the advice on the Bio-Spira. I had thought about using it originally, but wasn't sure about finding it in my area, or how much extra cost it would add. I managed to find a place that carries it and have picked some up, but I do have a few questions about it's use.

1) Seeing as it's bacteria which will stay resident in the aquarium (as opposed to pure ammonia in fishless cycling), is it safe to add to the tank with the fry still present? Simply put they are a tad reluctant to allow themselves to be caught and I somehow doubt that even with my best effort I'll be able to catch them all.

2) If it is best to remove them, how long should they stay out of the tank?

3) I'd also like to get the mature zebras back into a filtered tank, and since I can't afford another filter at the moment, and it's unlikely that all the fry will consent to being placed in the breeding net, what are some good gidelines as to when the fry will be safe in open water with their parents (length, time, etc)?

Thank you greatly for your time and advice. By the way, I realize the bioload will quickly exceed the capacity for a 10 gallon tank, and am currently making arrangements to deal with the fry as they mature.

Actually, Paviduz adding the Bio-Spira to the tank with fry in it is fine. My only concern is whether any of the stuff you have added to the tank will kill the Bio-Spira once its added. If you have only done the ammonia thing then go ahead and add the Bio-Spira to the tank and then put your mature Danios back in there as well. (If you're worried about the danios eating the fry put a tank divider in until the fry are too big to fit in the larger ones mouths.)

The Bio-Spira will make your water look cloudy for awhile but that is normal. You should see a change in your test result in about 24 hours. I've had pretty good results. Make sure you wait a good week or two before doing any water changes after you've added the Bio-Spira . And if you're not using a bio-wheel I would only vaccuum half of the gravel at a time because the bacteria live in the substrate.

Hope this helps! :)

Many thanks for the advice, Bio-Spira went in a while ago. Guess it's now a matter of waiting and crossing fingers. I'm pry going to wait at least a few days to put the mature Danios back, simply because when I tried to round up the fry yesterday they seemed to have decided that hiding was the better part of valor, so even with a tank divider I'd be rather uncertain that most of them were safe (as they've still yet to make themselves visable. At any rate, I greatly appreciate your help.

Back
Top Bottom