found 28 random fry!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donkey Gun

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Now this was a bit shocking. I was doing a water change and was flipping this shell around to vacuum around and 2 small fry swam out. After grabbing a breeder box and emptying out the shell I found 28 in all!

This is unbelievable because the only fish possible of maybe breeding in this tank are the 2 golden loaches and my two goldfish (black moor, telescope).

I assume their loach fry, because my goldfish are only about 2.5 years old and I thought they would have eaten the eggs anyways. It's quite amazing to me at all that these guys have survived, their lucky they found the shell!

Anyways, here's a pic and tell me what you think they are.

Attachments

• image-1164516263.jpg
    image-1164516263.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 313
  • image-3939027913.jpg
    image-3939027913.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 324
From the chubby shape I'd be tempted to say goldfish, but I really don't know. Really cute, though.

That's awesome! Good luck with them and keep us posted on what they grow up to be!

I thought maybe goldfish as well because of the shape, But I would think thy would have been eaten. However these guys survived I have no idea. It's almost like the eggs were laid inside the shell, because that's we're the fry were and I never saw random eggs laying around. Im certain if the eggs were just randomly dropped they would have all been scarfed down immediately.

I am completely puzzled. I guess I'll have to wait to see when they grow.

from the photos Ive found lately it seems like it could be goldfish! which would be amazing!!

I have now moved these guys to a netted breeder cage. They were escaping out of the bottom of the plastic one. There is actually still one left out in the open. I can't catch him, and the goldfish show no interest either. at least not yet. I figure if he makes it, it'll be the one we keep.

I have no experience with breeding, I'm just lucky I was given a bag of aquarium equipment a few months back from a friend, and it had all these breeder boxes. I've read that telescopes will lay up to 1000 eggs which might explain how some of them had to survive. They found the deep crevasses of an empty snail shell and took refuge.

I've put some plants in there to give some place to hide and maybe feed off of the microorganisms.

But what and when and how do I start feeding such small fish?

I have Hikari I could soak and smash up.

Attachments

• image-2157459370.jpg
    image-2157459370.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 245
Chiroptera said:
If you have flake fish food, you can grind it really, really fine and give it to them.

you read my mind, I have some leftover flakes from before. I put a bit in this morning.

Should I maybe setup my 10 gallon quarantine tank for these guys to live in? How long will it take until they will be suitable to sell to the LFS?

Any other items, scenarios, or setups I should be thinking about?

The 10gal would work nicely for them, I'd think, just make sure it's cycled, I'm sure you could pop some gravel from the main tank in and it'd be done in a week or so, even filter squeezings.

You'd have to call and ask, but most times stores won't take fry, and will wait until they're 1-3" long. I haven't had too much experience with goldfish so I don't really know how a store would act, but call around and see.

Just make sure that the fry have lots of places to hide, even though there would be no predators, they should stay as stress-free as possible. :)

thank you for the info.

Yea, I will just move some filter media from my established tank to the 10 gallon to setup. But I'm wondering if there will even be a big enough bio load from the fry to produce enough ammonia to keep the tank established.

For now though I'm keeping them in the net, at least until they mature a little bit more. I've put some plants in the netting to provide cover.

Do these still look like goldfish??

I'm still not sure what they are. The possibilities are golden dojos, telescope goldfish, and now I'm guessing maybe BNC.

I added a BNC from my 10 gallon about a week before I found these fry. So there are now 2 BNC in this 55 gallon. I left them out of the equation because I figured it would be to quick, but I don't know, they look more like BNC to me now.

Attachments

• image-472369729.jpg
    image-472369729.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 217
They almost do look lk baby pleco I love them they are soo cute I want one lol please don't hold to that because I'm really not sure but they do look like it!

Back
Top Bottom