Found a baby hanging out of mommy....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tasha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have had scarlett for quite awhile now, (2+ months) and she has just gotten bigger and bigger, and for the first time ever had a fish squared off more than three days, more like 5-7 until she had her fry...

I found her this morning, with a fry head sticking out of her, and her belly much smaller. although the little fry was a pretty good size. I got her in the net and tried to get the baby out it obviously had been there awhile, I just touched it with the tweezers and it fell off.... its almost 8pm now and shes looking real good. I emptied my tank of all its plants etc today this afternnoon carefully looking for any fry.... none to be found.... either all eaten, which im not sure about, I have alot of places to hide, the filter intake has a cover over it, so they didnt get sucked up, Im wondering if maybe she was WAY overdue and all the babies died?

Im confused about 2 things.. how the fry would get stuck by the tail?! the head is by far the biggest part, and why no other fry survived? anyone have any ideas?

Same way in humans that the ****** can contract and cause problems, it happens in fish too. Sometimes the baby will just die and not release itself.

edit: the forum blocks the scientific name for the female genitalia? lame.

Same way in humans that the ****** can contract and cause problems, it happens in fish too. Sometimes the baby will just die and not release itself.

edit: the forum blocks the scientific name for the female genitalia? lame.

Thanks Shetland, thats sort of what I was thinking as well....

Same thing happened to my brothers puppy. It was the saddest thing ever to watch the little guy die in my hands after doing everything I could to save it.
Hopefully you'll have better luck!

Sorry to hear about the guppy :( Fortunately scarlett seems to be doing great. She is eating and swimming happily, even pooping, so everythings "working". we'll see what happens in a month when she has another batch.

Back
Top Bottom