Freshwater egg breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobhowr2005

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is a good non aggresive egg laying fish to breed for beginners?

Corey's are pretty good however there pron to algae infection so placing the in front of a filter outtake will help with that. And a far as what kind just find one you like and get 6 of them and they will actively breed in community tank but some kinds are harder than others to breed so good luck

Cories and cherry barbs are fairly easy to breed. Here's a article on breeding Cories I wrote: BREEDING PANDA CORIES.

Size: 5-6 cm
Number: 6

I feel the best way to increase chances of spawning would be buying no less than 6 specimens as juveniles and letting them grow together. Typically you need more males than females for a better success rate.
A 10 gallon aquarium is sufficiently large enough for spawning to take place . In my opinion a bare bottom tank would be the best way for spawning but the aquarium should contain fake , broad-leafed plants and a clay flower pot as cover for resting. I would sex them when they are old enough and put a female in with 2-3 males.

The pH should be around neutral, but Corydoras panda tolerates everything from pH 6.0 to 8.0. The temperature should be in the upper part of its normal range (which is 20 – 25°C). A water temperature of 24-25°C is therefore recommended. By dropping the temp from about 25c to 23c ought to induce spawning.
Feed them meaty diets which consist of high quality pellets, frozen bloodworms, black worms and peas, cucumber. This will give them the energy and nutrition they need for breeding.
During spawning the male will follow the female around the tank and circle her. The eggs are about 1.5 mm in size and will usually be laid on broad leafed plants or glass.
Pandas produce small batches and their first may only contain 20 eggs.
If you choose to raise the fry away from parents which is probably the best idea if you want a high success rate use methylene blue to prevent fungi
After 4-5 days the eggs will hatch, if the water temp is at 25c , at this point the fry are no bigger than 6mm and will seek shelter for the first few weeks.
After 4 weeks the fry are usually at 1cm and at 8 2cm .

When the fry hatch, they will feed from their yolk sac for another 48 hours. Feeding is therefore unnecessary during the first two days. Microworms is a good first food for Corydoras panda fry. As they grow larger, you can start giving them newly hatched brine shrimp and then gradually increase the size of the brine shrimps.

By Sam Reynolds

What is a good non aggresive egg laying fish to breed for beginners?

One of the easiest fish to breed is the Zebra Danio. The tank setup is simple and the fry are fairly easy to raise. It will help you learn about culturing infusoria, breeding techniques and basic fish care.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like the instructions (y)

Back
Top Bottom