Fry Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimberley

Aquarium Advice Regular
Accumulated 2 guppy fry (either 2/3 days old) from my pet shop by accident yesterday, so I put them in a breeding trap. Things have been good, even though it's early days. This morning, my orange platy decided she was going to give birth to little ones for the first time. I was amazed, she didn't look that far gone. She ended up having a few in the tank while i was setting up the breeding trap, which have been eaten :( but I managed to get her into the trap and she had 12 babies! Unfortunately one died almost immediately, and 2 were born joined together, one was alive, the other wasnt, but they both died. So I have 2 guppy fry and 9 platy fry. How shall I care for them and why did the others die? Water is perfect, in a well established tank

When the platy fry start to gain shape they are ready for food. You can crunch up flakes for them and they can live in a breeders net until they are an inch long and then they can move to the big tank.

Your Livebearer Fry

Accumulated 2 guppy fry (either 2/3 days old) from my pet shop by accident yesterday, so I put them in a breeding trap. Things have been good, even though it's early days. This morning, my orange platy decided she was going to give birth to little ones for the first time. I was amazed, she didn't look that far gone. She ended up having a few in the tank while i was setting up the breeding trap, which have been eaten :( but I managed to get her into the trap and she had 12 babies! Unfortunately one died almost immediately, and 2 were born joined together, one was alive, the other wasnt, but they both died. So I have 2 guppy fry and 9 platy fry. How shall I care for them and why did the others die? Water is perfect, in a well established tank

Hello Kim...

A separate place for the fry isn't absolutely necessary. If you feed all your fish a little more and a little more often, the adult fish will show little interest in the little ones. The key to high fry survival is more food, fed more often. Just a humble opinion, though.

Moving adult fish and fry can be very stressing for both, I keep all my fish together in heavily planted tanks, so there's a lot of places to hide and I don't accidentally injure a fish trying to move it or them.

The best thing for the fry is a lot of food and feed every few hours. I take dry food and put some in a small sandwich bag and use a rolling pin to crush the food into a fine powder and feed often. Also, fish in general are more comfortable in tanks with a lot of plants. I like to float Anacharis in all my tanks. It grows fast and makes for good cover for females and fry.

B

Back
Top Bottom