Fry Control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would say a 30g long or 30 tall is the smallest I would go with an angelfish. 20g's are just too small IMO.

Andy, I don't do anything without research! I wish everyone would do that, it'd sure save a lot of pet lives from fish to dogs and everything in between. A lot of my tank development has been hindered by the cost of my leopard geckos that I had no intent on owning. They were a victim of someone not doing research and I couldn't watch them be fatally neglected anymore...just so happened to be the same week my tank finished cycling. Morality is very costly lol...it was the same deal with both of my dogs! They are both of potentially annoying breeds and were purchased for visual appeal and dumped when they became a problem. I don't think stupidity is any reason for a pet to die, its not like anyone put a gun to your head and made you get the wrong type of fish for an aquarium. I feel bad that I ended up with this guppy problem! I knew they were prolific breeders, but man...I really thought my other tank inhabitants would take care of a lot more of them.

Thank you for your great advise as to the angels! After reading your reply I got to thinking on it and every specimen I've known that has failed in a tank has been black or from heavily black lines. I was finally able to get my local fish societies' forum working for me and think I have a bigger outlet for giving away the fry to them as well as my lfs for credit-which works out wonderfully as everyone knows that credit at a store is always needed! Two of the members actually offered me spare tanks, and I should have a 20gl here next week. I think I will be going with an angel or a pair since I have the taller tank and do have such a liking for them. I very much like fish with longer lifespans and it seems like they would be the best candidate for my experience level, tank set up, guppy control needs and personal preferences. There are also several local breeders that I could support and would trust a little more since I could better investigate the lineage and the health of the tank they came from.

Now I've just got to get some better substrate for the cat fish...and I'm looking into hatching my own brine shrimp since everything loves them and I feel like live food of this sort is mentally and physically healthy. I'm very excited!!!

Thank you for your great advise as to the angels! After reading your reply I got to thinking on it and every specimen I've known that has failed in a tank has been black or from heavily black lines. I was finally able to get my local fish societies' forum working for me and think I have a bigger outlet for giving away the fry to them as well as my lfs for credit-which works out wonderfully as everyone knows that credit at a store is always needed! Two of the members actually offered me spare tanks, and I should have a 20gl here next week. I think I will be going with an angel or a pair since I have the taller tank and do have such a liking for them. I very much like fish with longer lifespans and it seems like they would be the best candidate for my experience level, tank set up, guppy control needs and personal preferences. There are also several local breeders that I could support and would trust a little more since I could better investigate the lineage and the health of the tank they came from.

Now I've just got to get some better substrate for the cat fish...and I'm looking into hatching my own brine shrimp since everything loves them and I feel like live food of this sort is mentally and physically healthy. I'm very excited!!!

I've always been partial to Angels which was why I became so prolific at breeding them. Ironically, the strain that I mentioned before is a Half Black angel (my #1 Fave.) You don't see good 1/2 blacks too often. They are mostly 1/4 blacks being passed off as 1/2 blacks. Once I move into a house with a more stable floor, I'll be getting some of mine back :brows:

As for hatching out brine shrimp, that's easy. It's the growing them and making them a healthy meal that's the trick. PM me if you need any formulas for hatching them out. I run 3 bottles daily for my Bettas.

Best of luck and keep us posted....(y)

Back
Top Bottom