fry lovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few days ago my guppy gave birth again but I couldn't save the fry.I saw afew swimming around but Im not able to save any more I won't be able to home all of them.I feel so bad!Some are surviving in their but I haven't seen any for a while.:(

I've been afraid the same thing will happen to me! Well, at least not for a while.

Been thinking about getting a breeding group of Molly's or platies. Will see where things go this weekend.

I'm not really sure if this is the place for this... But I'm new to aquariums and I added a dalmatian molly to my tank a few weeks ago and when I put it in I discovered it was a female. I have a tank with 4 male guppies and 1 male creamsicle molly and 3 cories. I noticed she is looking kind of plump. I have a spare 10 gallon tank if she has a fry, is a good heater, food, and a sponge filter all they would need? Any advice for a beginner?
Here is a picture of her:

Attachments

• image-3701547806.jpg
    image-3701547806.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 45
I'm not really sure if this is the place for this... But I'm new to aquariums and I added a dalmatian molly to my tank a few weeks ago and when I put it in I discovered it was a female. I have a tank with 4 male guppies and 1 male creamsicle molly and 3 cories. I noticed she is looking kind of plump. I have a spare 10 gallon tank if she has a fry, is a good heater, food, and a sponge filter all they would need? Any advice for a beginner?

That's plenty you will also need a breeder cage to catch fry and a breeder net to raise them because mollies eat their fry

Attachments

• image-940521570.jpg
    image-940521570.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 44
  • image-3493827939.jpg
    image-3493827939.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 46

Yes all you need is a heater, sponge filter, and something for the fry to hide in. You can use some cheap plastic plants.

I have a 5.5 gallon set up. I use no substrate, a small unadjustable heater set @ 78 F and a box filter that i filled with media from my display tank filter.

image-865289053.jpg

For cover i have all the java moss trimmings from my main tank. I recommend Hikari First Bites. Its perfect and saves you the trouble of grinding up flake.

I gotta say I'm not a fan of the breeding boxes or the breeder nets. They're cramped and i feel puts undue stress on the female. I had a platy female that birthed a few batches in the 5.5. On the flip side my sword female refuses to drop fry anywhere but in the main tank lol

She recently dropped a batch in the main tank but because I have plenty cover I just caught whoever I could find and put them in the 5.5. Even as I type this I can see at least 2 fry still swimming around in the main tank following their older siblings around lol

As long as you maintain good water quality in the rearing tank your fry should grow quickly. Once they're large enough not to be eaten you can move them back into your larger tank.

This pic is newly born fry from a few weeks ago.

image-3761778501.jpg

Some of the kids

image-2181549859.jpg

Momma

image-807488249.jpg

Dad

image-1721695384.jpg

Here are a few pic of my dalmation mollies fry. There are so many!!! Also what size tank should these guys be in?

Attachments

• image-4017502366.jpg
    image-4017502366.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 46
  • image-2393053547.jpg
    image-2393053547.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 42
  • image-1300897806.jpg
    image-1300897806.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 48
Here are a few pic of my dalmation mollies fry. There are so many!!! Also what size tank should these guys be in?

You can keep the fry in any size tank until they show color. I keep my fry in a net till they swim around a lot then they go in a 3 gallon then in a 5 gallon then off to market

Looks like you've got the same 1 gal. I have for my fry! Gonna add a real plant here soon. Not sure if it will be before I add the fry or after.

So for a final count I have saved 8 fry from the main tank. Saw a 9th one swimming around but every time I start moving decor to get to it, it disappears. Will see if I can get him during feeding today. Pretty happy with the outcome of this batch though. Seems as though momma guppy is getting into the swing if things finally.

Just moved my 30+ 3 week old fry to a ten gallon tank of their own.. they were getting too big for the 1.8 g and it was too much to keep up with for maintenance.. also came home to find a survivor in the main tank that i didnt know of before... seems to be just a little bigger than my separated fry.. dont know why that is. But they are all doing well

Maybe the survivor was bigger because he had to learn how to swim faster to escape the predators.There were probably others but only he survived because he was the toughest.lol survival of the fittest fry

If my little survivor is still there tomorrow I will be adding some hiding spots for it. See how things go from there. If not there will be some hiding spots for the next batch

If my little survivor is still there tomorrow I will be adding some hiding spots for it. See how things go from there. If not there will be some hiding spots for the next batch

If you have one in your tank and you want to keep it you shoild bunch plants either along one side or in a corner

If you have one in your tank and you want to keep it you shoild bunch plants either along one side or in a corner

I have an air tube that looks like a plant that I'm going to put a few more plants around. I have to keep the frogs out some how though. They seem to know when there are fry in the tank lol

It's been almost one week for my fry will be going into the 1 gal tomorrow or Tuesday after water changes and a little clean up work on the 1 gal. Since I kinda forgot about cleaning there for a little bit. Will have pictures soon

My betta fry make a month old (from being free swimmers) on Tuesday. Today was a month from their spawning. They are around a centimeter long now!

Back
Top Bottom