fry lovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never got around to the brine shrimp but have heard they're great to feed fry. Follow freshwaterashley's timeline and you should be good.

They also have a next step up by hikari that includes brine.. never bought it but i know some who say their fry love it.. cant be cheaper than a cup of brine though lol

Thank you so much, my little guys love it, i am using first bites, and frozen baby brine shrimp, they like those more than the first bites, all are doing great! I got between fifty and a hundred!i have nut done a total count yet....

How big must fry be before putting in a community tank?
Had one guppy about 2cm big I put in other week and next day vanished without a trace :(

Thread are my first fry, day 2 freeswimming. they are fuelleborni cichlids. There was origionally 11last night I only counted 8 I hope the rest make it I have them ii n my shrimp tank. I left for a week told my wife to feed them 2-3 times a day she thought I said 6 lol. Today will be there first water change. Here's a couple pics sorry there so blurry camera phone. This was last week.

ForumRunner_20130601_101126.jpg

ForumRunner_20130601_101143.jpg

Thank you so much, my little guys love it, i am using first bites, and frozen baby brine shrimp, they like those more than the first bites, all are doing great! I got between fifty and a hundred!i have nut done a total count yet....

Glad to hear they are doing good and happy! Post some pics please? Would love see the little guys!

How big must fry be before putting in a community tank?
Had one guppy about 2cm big I put in other week and next day vanished without a trace :(

Good rule of thumb is they should be bigger then the mouth of your biggest fish. Double check your tank though, my fry loved burrowing into the substrate.

Thread are my first fry, day 2 freeswimming. they are fuelleborni cichlids. There was origionally 11last night I only counted 8 I hope the rest make it I have them ii n my shrimp tank. I left for a week told my wife to feed them 2-3 times a day she thought I said 6 lol. Today will be there first water change. Here's a couple pics sorry there so blurry camera phone. This was last week.

Congrats on being a new parent to these guys!

Congrats on being a new parent to these guys!

Thanks! I was feeding them a mixture of foods I ground up but I just got NLS Small Fry formula last night so we will see how that goes. Any advice. Here's a shot of there home. Oh and I've only lost 1 not 3 like I thought.

ForumRunner_20130601_144553.jpg

Last edited:
Good rule of thumb is they should be bigger then the mouth of your biggest fish. Double check your tank though, my fry loved burrowing into the substrate.

So do mine!I feed them ground up flakes and are about 2 1/2 weeks old doing great haven't lost even one so far:)

Attachments

• image-1080527107.jpg
    image-1080527107.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 72
Lost about 4 of my platy fry.. dont really know why but i am going to do a pwc on the tank tomorrow. Not too upset about the loss because there are so many im not sure of what im gonna do with all of them

:( hopefully it was only some of the mutant ones i have one in my tank it's really sadD:he is sort of darker and harder for him to swim

Attachments

• image-892767125.jpg
    image-892767125.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 87
Yeah a few dont have full tails i noticed... and the ones that died have been swimming slow since they were born. I always figure with such a big litter that a few if not a majority will die

It's sad but true........my little mutant of ten isn't doing so well.while the healthy ones are dashing to the top and fighting for food he struggles just to get to the top.....{:|

Yeah a few dont have full tails i noticed... and the ones that died have been swimming slow since they were born. I always figure with such a big litter that a few if not a majority will die

Sorry to hear about the losses. Good to see a positive attitude though! ?

Found about 5 more dead today so now my lil guys are happily moved to my 1.8 gallon.. all are officially 1 week old. Out of 3 litters.. found 3 more little platys? In my tank and scooped them out as i was cleaning one is very small and another one is actually a lil bigger than the ones i have been keeping in the trap! What a trooper! May post pics in a bit.. trying to let them all get adjusted to their new environments :) how is everyone else doin?

My little guys are about 2 2/3 week old and none have died and they are all getting bigger!

Yeah i think it was because i had so many in the trap that the ammonia level was getting too high for such a small space and i notice there isnt very good flow through the trap.. hopefully i wont loose anymore :/

How do you know that you have so many...........it's almost impossible for me to count my 11 count:)

Back
Top Bottom