fry lovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The tanks i am going to put my fry in first is a betta breeder and the second is actually a 1.8 g betta tank.. though ive never had a betta. Lol

ForumRunner_20130529_104202.jpg

ForumRunner_20130529_104221.jpg

Got ten fancy guppy fry that I just transfered into a 1 gallon tank. 5 are 2 months old and 5 are 2 weeks. Out of the two births my female guppy has gone through I have only been able to save 5 out of each.

Attachments

• image-4040438824.jpg
    image-4040438824.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 81
Got ten fancy guppy fry that I just transfered into a 1 gallon tank. 5 are 2 months old and 5 are 2 weeks. Out of the two births my female guppy has gone through I have only been able to save 5 out of each.

I see the black one.. very pretty tank :)

My platys and mollies keep having fry without me being able to get them separated off into a breeder, so the fry get eaten about as fast as they are born. How can I tell when they are about to give birth so I can separate them off.... I have a Molly that is huge and I am sure it is about to give birth, but I don't want to separate her off too soon and stress her out? How long after she gives birth before I move the mom back to the community tank? Can I move her to a mesh breeder now and how long can she stay in there before I should put her back if she does not give birth..... Sorry lots of questions but I have had live bearers for over a year and have not successfully seen any fry. I have 1 male and 5 female platys, and 1 male and 4 female Molly's. Water parameters are great... And I often see them shrink over night, but no fry yet.

They will look sort of square when they are ready. Some become a bit stand offish and quit eating about 3 days before.. do you have pictures of the mothers? If you separatr her close enough to birth then it shouldnt stress her too much for her to bear. Again pictures would help

Mine get fat and square off, too. I always guess too early, but just leave her in there. Better to leave her in then let her out and in again over and over. Plus, the boys bug her so bad, she (all of the shes) hide out of breath in the back of the tank, so it gives them a break. I have one Lee's 3 way breeder and I bought a shower caddy at Walmart I wrapped in panty hose and suction cupped to the corner (a corner caddy that came with suction cups). I put some sand in the bottom and some plants and it's like a floating island. My girls never seem stressed out in either.

My other cobra guppy just gave birth today. I got 13 more! I think that's around 42 in the last 48 hours now.

I'm sad to say I lost all my fry today.... The move to the new tank was too much or too fast. Not quite sure what happened..

I'm sad to say I lost all my fry today.... The move to the new tank was too much or too fast. Not quite sure what happened..

Oh no! :'( all of them? Did you test the water? Im so sorry to hear that. I hope you get a new batch soon.

Mine get fat and square off, too. I always guess too early, but just leave her in there. Better to leave her in then let her out and in again over and over. Plus, the boys bug her so bad, she (all of the shes) hide out of breath in the back of the tank, so it gives them a break. I have one Lee's 3 way breeder and I bought a shower caddy at Walmart I wrapped in panty hose and suction cupped to the corner (a corner caddy that came with suction cups). I put some sand in the bottom and some plants and it's like a floating island. My girls never seem stressed out in either.

My other cobra guppy just gave birth today. I got 13 more! I think that's around 42 in the last 48 hours now.

Lol thats what happened to me .. 3 girls ( platy and two guppies)dropped in 3 days and now i have 52 fry. I guess my guppy wasnt done the first time because she is still pretty big and her gravid spot is very dark. Unfortunately my platy has dropsy and is on her way out. But the fry are doing just fine.. all of my fish are very interested.. went out and bought 3 new male guppies.. one teal fantail, One orange and a yllow with orange tips both round tails

ForumRunner_20130530_222950.jpg

ForumRunner_20130530_223000.jpg

ForumRunner_20130530_223014.jpg

ForumRunner_20130530_223028.jpg

Oh no! :'( all of them? Did you test the water? Im so sorry to hear that. I hope you get a new batch soon.

Yes lost them all... I tested the water last night after I put the tank together and everything checked out... It was the same water they were already in. I think what might have happened was the tank and equipment was all new and i think it might have caused the BB to die off or cause some kind of reaction with the water or fish. I should be expecting another batch in 3-4 weeks.

Also sounds like you have your hands full with all those little ones. I can't imagine having that many.

I use the hikari first bites and now that they are a week old im starting to give them crushed flakes as well.. when they get to one month i am going to try the baby brine shrimp

I never got around to the brine shrimp but have heard they're great to feed fry. Follow freshwaterashley's timeline and you should be good.

Back
Top Bottom