Fry survival

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishywishywowoo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Had my platys for almost a year now. 2 male 2 female. Few days ago noticed my first live fry. Females regularly big and small again but never seen babies til now. Anyway I have rescued 5 in total now in a breeder net in the community tank. These are all very active and appear to be thriving. My problem is I have just done a PWC and rinsed the filter media. When I emptied the bucket it was like a baby fish grave yard :( any way I can prevent this at all? Obviously I need the filter on but don't want the very getting sucked in every time they have them. Tank is 20g with 7 African dwarf frogs and 2 wccm as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If I'm expecting, I will often wrap a little piece of cheesecloth around the slotted intake. I have a hang-on biowheel, so the babies getting sucked up will definitely kill them. I make sure to do this at the last moment since it does hamper the filtering quality. While the babies might get stuck to the cheesecloth, you have the chance to rescue them before they go on a deadly roller coaster ride. I get the cheesecloth at a local grocery store. Hope that helps!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

Back
Top Bottom