fry tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydesilva

Aquarium Advice Activist
does anyone know some good plants for a fry tank, all i got in there now is a bunch of elodea from the main tank that grew out we have 2 platy fry around 25 molly fry and expecting more platy and molly fry. the tank is a 5 gallon tank
:ermm:
thanks everyone :thanks::fish1::)

I don't actually keep my fry seperate but in a breeding net. However. when I had fry before getting the net I usually wound them in the low covering plants. the ones that I have are only about 2 inches tall. once under the grave; they stick out about an inch. the base looks like a grid. you can get this is grass or leaved plants. i usually found them hiding in there because the other fish were too big to get in there. Other than that they like to hide under leaves near the gravel. so anything that has good coverage by the base would be good!

I found a molly fry hiding in a dwarf sagittaria plant. It was the only one that survived. Maybe some hair grass. Or I have read on here that some keep moss balls for their little ones. Anything low growing would work I would think.

Ok thanks, would you say java moss would be ok?

I had to look up java moss because I had not heard of it before. That looks like it should do just fine. Remember if its just fry in the tank they wont need to hide as much because they wont have to worry about being eaten by their parents

Java moss works great. But just like jldurfe said, they wont need too many plants if its just them in the tank. Also, make sure you dont have the filter on too high. You dont want em getting sucked up!

Yeah I actually don't have a filter I'm doing a 20% water change every second day (taking water from the main tank and puting it in the fry tank after taking water from fry tank and adding it too my 80 gallon) and the way I get so many to survive is I have made a thing that holds the mom and the fry fall through gaps I've cut in the box

I've made my 2.5 gal tank my fry tank and it does have a small filter so I don't need to do so many water changes. I do think its a good idea that you are using water from the main tank that way you wont need to worry about stressing them out when you move them to the main tank.

Back
Top Bottom