Fry tank ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iowaguy27

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to start a fry tank. What do I need for filtration, decor and substrate if any. I have a 12 gallon tank hood heater and air pump with stones. I have a variety of Molly's and platys. I am wanting to take them out of my main tank where my broader box is and grow out the fry in a separate tank.

You could use any filter, but a sponge filter would be safest to use with young fry because they wouldn't be able to get sucked into the filter. You could use a HOB filter with a sponge over the intake to prevent this. The 12 gallon would probably be fine to grow them out in, but you will need to move them to a larger tank when they get bigger.

Awsome thanks. I have the 12 gallon set up just need to go get the sponge filter. I also have a 55 gallon community tank that they are breeding in. I also have a 29 gal. tank but not set up yet. I was thinking about having that be my grow out tank before they go back with the others. But I have some angles I have been waiting to see if I get a breeding pair out of them and use the 29 gal tank for raising angle fish in. Anyways thanks for the tips. Any ideas for decoration in the fry tank or have it a bare bottom tank. Maybe a backdrop (color or picture preference)?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could put fake plants and ornaments in if you don't want live plants. I usually like to keep my fry/quarantine tanks without substrate because it's easier to keep clean and empty the tank if I need to do so quickly.

Back
Top Bottom