Fry Tank Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ILuvFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking for a relatively inexpensive fry tank that I will need to set up within the next month? Any suggestions?

I'm guessing that it's for the Muppy fry. I would set up a 10 gallon fry tank, as there will be a ton of fry 10-20 babies, and I recommend a sponge filter for when the fry are a day or two old, so they don't get sucked in the filter and die.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'd use a 10 gal strip tank with sponge filter, water, heater and fish. Make sure the sponge filter is seasoned in a tank for a month or two prior to using it in a fry tank. Using a strip tank allows you to use a piece of airline as a siphon that will keep you from sucking up fry doing 5%-10% daily water changes. If need be, crimp the siphon end of the airline.

You should also ply the fry with live baby brine shrimp and micro worms for the first 3-4 weeks and that with the daily water changes will make them grow really fast. Before you ask get the micro worms on Aquabid in the live food section. If this is something you plan to do multiple times, fill a 5gal bucket 4/5ths full with water from water changes. Put a sponge filter in the bucket connected to air and running. After a month you will have a great filter for future fry tanks. You can also toss in a few snails or Least Killies as they don't need a heater.

Back
Top Bottom