Gbr breeding behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelly5978

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Will a male attach his "mate" if she's ill? My female is very stressed and grey. She started acting this way before the breeding started, but it's MUCH WORSE now. She is swimming on her sides when she's really stressed. They laid eggs, which disappeared within 2 days. Now, the female is not red-bellied, fat, or any other sign of breeding.....just dark and stressed. the male leaves her alone as long as she stays at the top of the tank. Is it possible that the "wigglers" were hidden where I can't see them, and he is protecting them, even from the mom? I have other important fish in this 55gtank that are important. I would like to move the female away from the male if the behavior is just normal breeding behavior, and she's not sick.

Attachments

• image-1927787196.jpg
    image-1927787196.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 60
Ok....so you think it's just stress? She is definitely stressed, and she's lost color. She looks like the ones at the pet store (black stripes). And, she keeps swimming on her sides. He is really going after her. I'm just worried she's sick! I have angelfish (I'm pretty sure a pair) on the other side of the divider that I would be very upset if I lose. I read on a diff site that if a male ram determines his mate Is not suitable to breed with, he will stress her to death to make room for a new female. I hate to lose her, but I've got other fish in there that are more important! It's been 4 days since the eggs disappeared. If he were protecting wigglers, I'd see them by now, right?

Ok. I put the female over the divider. She is not bright, but the stress stripes were gone in 10 min. She must be afraid of him. She does seem to have a black spot (looks like inside her) about halfway to her tail....but one thing at a time. Lol. I did a salt dip on the male, and the red splinter looking thing did not come off. What do I so now? Do I remove the divider and pray whatever this red thing is, it doesn't affect the other fish? Or get rid of the male? Finally, if I remove the divider, is the male going to go harass the female again?

Attachments

• image-3974658792.jpg
    image-3974658792.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 47
Thanks grandpa! I removed the divider. They are both colored up, cleaning and defending...and the females belly is getting round! The male still has the red splinter thing (which I pray is not worms), but they're evidently going to give breeding another try. I can't imagine them surviving the other fish, so I'm gonna speed up work on their tank :)

Attachments

• image-2031457039.jpg
    image-2031457039.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 50
Back
Top Bottom