GBR died holding eggs..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hennaartist

Aquarium Advice Freak
So a month or so ago, I introduced a female GBR to my male, in my community tank. They argued for about 5 minutes and the hit it off great. Constantly stayed together, the male would attempt to run all other fish off from her, etc etc. I didn't necessarily want them to breed, I just wanted to have more than 1 GBR in the tank. I certainly didn't expect any eggs to make it since the other fish would definitely eat them.
Over the last week the female became larger and very large, but also more and more pale. Yesterday, she wouldn't come off the bottom or eat. This morning she had passed. Once I retrieved her from the tank, I had put her in a plastic bag, on the way to the trash can I apparently accidentally squeezed her, but it couldn't have been very hard. Anyway, eggs came out. Could she have passed away because she refused to lay the eggs (no suitable spot)? or maybe she wasn't able too?

I'm not a breeder, so I don't really know. However, I do generally have good luck with keeping GBRs. I've had my male for 2 years.

Although rams usually don't like to breed on heaters, I've heard of discus and angelfish burning their breeding tube shut if they try to spawn on an active filter. She could have had some sort of bloat? Glad that they had some friendship though. Sorry that she died...

Aquariums make for a betta world. Wanna discus it?

There's always a suitable spot, I've seen them lay eggs on things from leaves to the side of the tank, it's sounds more like it may have been bloat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom