GBR fry advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Conrad

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've just got home from work and my female ram has spawned on the stones (rubble). I've only had this pair for a few weeks and this is the second time it's happened. The male is waving his fins over the fry and is guarding off my corys. The last time she spawned it was on a leaf of a plant which I cut off and put in a floating hatchery but there was nothing hatched, the fry turned white after 2 days. I'm a little reluctant to do the same this time as maybe there would be more chance of hatchers if I left everything alone? There's not much I can do with the fry now anyway as they are mixed in the stones. Am I doing the right thing or should I do something else?

I always had the best luck by moving the eggs to a hatching tank, but since they are in rubble you are probably best just waiting. After they start free swimming you can move them with a turkey baster.

I've just got home from work and my female ram has spawned on the stones (rubble). I've only had this pair for a few weeks and this is the second time it's happened. The male is waving his fins over the fry and is guarding off my corys. The last time she spawned it was on a leaf of a plant which I cut off and put in a floating hatchery but there was nothing hatched, the fry turned white after 2 days. I'm a little reluctant to do the same this time as maybe there would be more chance of hatchers if I left everything alone? There's not much I can do with the fry now anyway as they are mixed in the stones. Am I doing the right thing or should I do something else?

Based on your comment, it sounds like the reason the eggs didn't hatch the last time was because they weren't being oxygenated while in the floating hatchery. The fish do this naturally by faning the water over the eggs.
Since this time you have the eggs amongst the gravel stones, you are kinda stuck waiting for the eggs to hatch and the fry can then be siphoned or carefully "Turkey Basted" into another tank with proper conditions.

For the future, you may want to put in some larger, flat stones for the pair to spawn on which will make it easier for you to remove the eggs with the stone and hatch them out in a separate tank with an airstone. Feel free to PM me for instructions on doing this. (y) Otherwise, you can let the parents take care of the eggs and fry and just try to get some food to the fry when the time comes.

Hope this helps...(y)

Back
Top Bottom