GBR just spawned - What do i do?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chinoanoah

Aquarium Advice Freak
My female GBR just spawned 30ish eggs, but I don't have another tank. How long until the eggs hatch? The male is sitting over them now, what do I do next? They share a 10g with 3 Lemon Tetras and some MTS.

They will probably eat them (parents), don't worry, it takes some time for them to get things figured out.

I think it helps when there are other fish in the tank, the parents protective instincts kick in.
If you want the babies either pull the eggs or wait until they have been free swimming a couple of days then siphon them out.

One of my breeding pairs has a female bristlenose as a tankmate and have a brood about a 3 weeks old now

3 days until the eggs start hatching from the time they were fertilized.

Where did the fish spawn? If you can, I'd remove the eggs and put them into a 1/2-1g jar. Add an airstone and one drop of "Quick Cure" to kill any fungus and harmful bacteria. Place the airstone very near the eggs, slightly over them if you can. Keep the temperature the same as the tank they were spawned in. About 5 days after you get wigglers you will see free swimming fry. They will have nearly depleted egg sacs at that time and will be looking for food. You will want to feed BBS and other micro foods if you can. The reason for the small jar is to keep the food level concentrated so that the fish don't have to look far and spend precious energy in order to find food. HTH.

All the eggs are now missing - Were they eaten?

Most likely, they could have hatched and been moved.
Watch the male, he would be near the wigglers.

They will spawn again in a week or so, it usually takes them a few time to figure things out.

Back
Top Bottom