GBR male or female

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teagteag

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407172898.624828.jpg
Not specifically trying to breed my german blue rams. Just want to know what sex this one is. He or she is starting to bully the others.

Tanks specs- 125 gallon artificial plants Fluval fx5.

4 GBR
Gouramis (blue and dwarf)
Clown loaches
Pleco (rubber lipped)
Danios

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Male, females have a red area on their underside as well as an egg tube. Their black stripes are not very well defined either.

Why would he start picking on others after 2 months together? I've rearranged tank. He is making other GBR colors wash out I assume from stress. Would it help to add females?

He wants to mate, it's common he would harass females. Males will be aggressive to other males. Try to block their eye of site towards each other.

Sometimes raising the water temp to 30 degrees triggers them to spawn. I know my male harasses my female so I raise my water temp 2 degrees and in 3 days I'll have eggs. It's happened twice like this now for me.

Is this a female? Colors are really washed out. The above pictured male has been chasing this one. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407292190.664544.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407292224.024069.jpg

Looks like a male. http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums...5-6604-41F5-9DCE-2D58E9AFDCE6_zpsacnvxddz.jpg Here is a pic of my female above eggs. The male is in the background. Anyways notice how the females belly is almost red. That's how you can tell. Another way is the male will have its third ray raised higher than the rest. the females will not have a raised bar but instead have all even ones.

What can I do to help de-stress my GBR?

Thanks! Guy at LFS told me one of 4 GBR were a female. But from what I can tell they are all males.

When I first went to pick out GBRs from my LFS they all looked like males as well. So I bought two thinking one was a female. It wasn't and died so I replaced him. When I replaced him the LFS only had a few left in the tank and the were clearly females (pink bellies). Apparently my LFS had bad stock and both rams ended up dead. So I ended up buying a pre paired group from online.

Back
Top Bottom